OLYMPIC & TITANIC The Truth Behind The Conspiracy

Steven Hall

The book released only 3 months previous (April 10), a signed copy on Ebay selling for over 3 times its original sale price.

71Ao5wbAwML.jpg

All those books I signed and sent out last week would appear to have a higher (resale / used, and or auction) value from the jacket price ($US18.95).
item=2253453070

There is a book review on Michael (TheManInBlack) Tennaro (‘s) - TitanicBook.com site.
titanicbooksite.com/hall_steve.html

Anyone with an interest in Titanic tech can't go wrong getting a copy of this work. Even if you don't care one way or another about conspiracies, there's a wealth of information on the similarities and the differences between the ships that no techie should be without. The photos...many of which appear to be quite rare...by themselves make this book a very good buy!

I couldn't agree more... This book is full of information that I wish I would have had access to when my interest in the Titanic & Olympic began 30 years ago. This book along, with David Brown's "Last log of the Titanic" are the most compelling Titanic reads in the last several years.
Mike Condon
San Jose, CA

Thank you for the compliments Michael Condon and Michael Standart. Both Bruce and I appreciate the feedback.
Regarding the auction of the signed copy of the book on Ebay — sold for $US96.00

"Looks like the work is being well recieved then."

Every where but here Michael. (Steve shaking his head in bewilderment)
All the emails and mail I'm receiving is incredible - but nothing here at all. Is it the theory, is it the material in the book or is it that the authors are on the nose.
I have no idea.

You may not hear a lot about it on this forum because most of the Titanic techies don't seem to hang out here. Most of the members here tend to take a deep interest in passenger/crew information. Why that is, I don't know, but there you are. Even if people don't respond on the forum, I think you can take the favourable e-mails as a good sign. Further, even if people don't always respond here, you can bet they're taking notice.

Well, Steve (& Bruce):

I got my copy of your book from the THS, and I'm about half way through it. GREAT BOOK! Well researched - and, an extra goodie for some of us - pictures of the Titanic I've never seen before!

Well worth the money I spent.

The only comments that have come my way that might conceivably be considered a negative is that several people have mentioned to me that they don't need a book to tell them that Gardiner's theories are not worth the paper they are printed on.

That is why in my review I made it a point to highlight the amount of photographic documentary material most people probably have not seen before. As Bill, also pointed out, new pictures of Titanic are something few and far between, and your book is very exciting for that alone.

This is so much more than a conspiracy busting book. If you are into the technical aspects of the Olympic class ships, this book is a gold mine.

all the best, Michael (TheManInBlack) T

Ditto to what Mike said about - a gold mine.

I finished mine today.

And make sure to check out the definitions of nautical terms at the end ofthis book - especially "rivetcounter"!

I'm not so much 'into' the technical aspects of the Olympic class ships but an interested lay reader. I'm also in the category Michael Tennaro identified above, not needing 'a book to tell (me) that Gardiner's theories are not worth the paper they are printed on'. However, I've certainly had my interest whetted by Michael's review, and now Monica Hall's.

Fiona, all I can say is get the book. You won't regret it. As to Gardiner's theories not being worth the paper they're printed on, I'm reminded of what a composer named Bruckner said about a harsh critical review of one of his symphonies. He wrote back to the critic; "I have your review in front of me. It will soon be behind me." (It helps to know he was referring to a trip to the outhouse!)

I received my copy from Amazon yesterday. Apart from skimming through and checking out the photographs (worth the price alone!), I have read the first three chapters.

An excellent work, but...don't take this the wrong way, but it could have used more work in the proof-reading department. Two examples so far: the captions which appear under the photographs on page 12 would have us believe that Titanic underwent her sea trials almost two months before Olympic. (i.e.read 1912 for 1911!).

And some confusing text a couple of pages later informs us that Wilde replaced Murdoch as First Officer at Southampton. The same paragraph then states that Murdoch was in charge of filling and lowering six lifeboats. The only place that Wilde replaced Murdoch was on terra firma (lucky man), and the first sentence was obviously transposed.

These are only small quibbles, of course, but if a second edition is ever published there is room for tidying up! On the whole, though, I have seen enough already to say that this is a lovely book and well worth adding to any Titanic library. Not merely because it debunks a theory we virtually all know is rubbish, but also for the reasons given by earlier posters to this thread.

Back