I just found ANTR in DVD.. what a find for Beverly. I had no idea that it had been put into criterion. I love the xtra stuff. Can't wait to get it.

B
happy.gif

Documentary on the making of the movie featuring Walter Lord and producer William MacQuitty. Also a commentary track by Ken Marschall and Don Lynch.

These features date back to 1993 when this was originally put together for Laser Disc.

Hi Beverly, Eric & Mr. Shetna,

As I sit here looking at MY copy (ah hem...
happy.gif
) of ANTR on DVD, the special features, as listed on the back of the case are as follows:

@ Optimal image quality: Dual Layer Edition

@ Screen-specific audio commentary by Don Lynch, author, and Ken Marschall, illustrator, of Titanic-An Illustrated History History

@ The Making of "A Night To Remember" (1993), a 60 minute documentary featuring William MacQuitty's rare behind the scene footage.

You should also note that this DVD contains a very poignant interview with the late Walter Lord, who was genuinely pleased at the success of this movie.

While way beyond my price range cap at $39.99, this is an HISTORIC film so I hand out the money like it's nothing...I had to have this film on DVD. The picture is clear and sharp beyond words.

A True Cinematic Masterpiece.

Regards,
Bill

$39.99 USD!!!!!!

God I thought we were ripped off in Australia.

I bought my copy on DVD anout 2 years ago for $29.95 Australian dollars (about US$15) but I didn't get the commentary. It does however come with the making of documentary, cast biographies, US and UK trailers.

A very good copy but still in mono sound.

Certainly better value than the video

Hi Robert,

Over here we pay a Luxury Tax, it's called "Mall Overhead". I have only seen this movie on DVD in two outlets and the other one was sold out of it so a movie like this?, I don't mind paying extra money, the other outlet sold it for 5 dollars less than this one so it was really no big savings.

I have not seen this DVD for less than 30 dollars anywhere!

Regards,
Bill

Just last year I paid $19.99 USD for my Criterion copy of ANTR on DVD at Fred Meyers in Newberg Oregon. So it all depends on where you get your copy, be it a mall, Amazon.com or a smaller local store. I had this exact collection complete with commentaries and the Making Of... on a CDRom set called Total Titanic for the PC. It appears that they went from Laser Disk, to CDRom, to DVD. The image quality on DVD is so clear, but the sound is MONO.

I ordered ANTR at amazon, 180 minutes long, including a 60 minute special. Is this the better edition you spoke about, or should I order at ebay? They have ANTR to(criterion edition), but only 123 minutes long.
What is the better one?

Best regards

Manuel

There are two versions available on DVD, by Criterion (Region 1 only) and Carlton (Region 2 only). I have both, and as far as I can see the only difference is that the Carlton version doesn't have the Lynch/Marschall commentary and it's a 'flipper' - you need to turn the disc over to get to the 'making-of' documentary. If you ordered from a European branch of Amazon that's probably the one you will get, because I don't think the Criterion edition was ever made available for region 2.

The Criterion edition would be my choice because it has the commentary, but bear in mind that it is a Region 1 disc made for the American market and will not work if your player is for Region 2 (Europe) only. Most DVD players sold here in the UK are 'region-free' and play all discs - I don't know if that's so in Germany.

I bought my Criterion ANTR from the web-based CD-WOW for £17.99 (26 Euro) post free (it arrived within a few days from somewhere in the Far East!):

http://www12.cd-wow.com/detail_results_2.php?product_code=3057

Back