Nevermind.
happy.gif
I just saw it in his IMDB credits. He's not credited in th actual film, though.

And Sean Connery, sporting a big mustache, is supposed to be one of the passengers going up the tilted poop deck near the scene where the priest shelters the little boy. Of course Honor Blackman has a big roll in ANTR. She was in Goldfinger! Robert H. Gibbons

I knew about Honor Blackman since she had a credit. I didnt notice the Sean Connery credit till i viewed the full credits on IMDB.
happy.gif
I'll have to look again.

I recall seeing a picture of Sean in ANTR, and he had an unfeasibily large moustache!

Correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't Sean appear in more than one, uncredited role in ANTR?

Connery hadn't yet broken into the motion picture "big time" - and an actor's gotta eat, y'know. Truthfully, the first film I'm sure saw him in was Disney's "Darby O'Gill and the Little People." I don't recall much of film today, other than some of its optical trickery, but I do remember Connery as being a standout.

Roy

Robert G.
quote:

priest shelters the little boy.

Wasn't that a Dining Room Steward instead of a priest. I remember the man earlier in the film as a Dinning Room Steward in the Dinning Room setting the tables and saying "It'll another Belfast trip because of a dropped propeller blade," to another Dinning Room Steward. Don't mean to be a nit'picker.​

Dropped propeller blade....hmm... I know this is a bit off topic but have there been one or two major liners that this happened to? I think one of them was at a recoverable depth. Anybody remember this?

>>but have there been one or two major liners that this happened to?<<

It was just a common enough problem that shipyards tended to keep spare wheels, or even just blades around just in case they were needed. I don't recall any other examples, but the Olympic had a run in with an obstruction which chewed up a blade and required a drydocking to make right.

>>the Olympic had a run in with an obstruction which chewed up a blade and required a drydocking to make right.<<

Have read (re: Will Rogers' famous quote :) that although Capt. Smith said he'd never had any trouble, this was just one of many accidents he had in his career before the Titanic disaster.

Captain Smith was known to be something of a cowboy when entering port, but he rarely ever ran into any serious trouble because of it. The accidents he had were the sort of minor scrapes that a lot of ships had. Embarrassing, but nothing to write home about.

29 February 1912: A few hours after leaving Queenstown for New York,
Oceanic II loses a blade from her port propeller. She will arrive in
New York on 7 March, a day late as a result of averaging only 16.57
knots for the trip. This trip is Capt. Herbert J. Haddock's final one
as Oceanic's commander before he takes over Olympic from E. J. Smith,
who is being transferred to Titanic. (Source: The New York Times, 1 and
8 March 1912.)

What obstruction did the Olympic hit?

Wheel = the center part of a propeller, right? The blades could be unbolted and changed out, right? This makes me think of the engine pods being used on ships now. It would be BAD (and a lot more expensive, I bet) to loose an engine pod. When did cruise ship builders phase in the engine pods? The QM2 is the first one I'd heard of that had them but I imagine they've been around longer than that.

Back