Although I have to admit that I have not seen the entire "A Night To Remember" (maybe it's just me, but they just don't seem to run very often where I live and haven't gotten the video yet), but what few scenes that I have seen it looks like a lot of the dialogue was used in Cameron's version.

Titanic movies can be interchangeable at times-we've all heard lines like "God Himself Could Not Sink This Ship" again and again. Can't be helped I guess. The most shameless ripoff line I know about is when Jack tells a suicidal Rose about the cold water being like "a thousand knives into your body". Ummmmm I wonder what Lightoller would have said about that little bit of some fictional character borrowing his line without permission mind you.

>>but what few scenes that I have seen it looks like a lot of the dialogue was used in Cameron's version.<<

That shouldn't be surprising since as much of the Titanic mythos got jump started by ANTR as any serious attempt at history. It would be amazing if everybody else didn't pick up on it to some degree.

Walter Lord was a memorable writer and, through his many interviews and correspondences with Titanic survivors, managed to fill his books with equally memorable lines. What he wrote became virtually a screenplay for future generations of film makers.

Roy

As Titanic and a Night to Remember were both based upon the same historic event, there will inevitably be similarities. At the same time, there is a lingering suspicion that certain ideas and scenes from ANTR were copied in the more recent film. However, in many cases, the subtlety of the original is abandoned in its entirety.

Although its executive director was an American, ANTR is an archetypal British film that has many characteristically British quirks. For example, the scene in which a group of Third Class passengers are confronted with a locked grill on their way up to the boat deck and smash it with an axe has a deliberately humorous aspect, insofar as the po-faced steward says something to the effect of ’ere, mate, you can’t do that — its company property! This scene is utterly perverted in Cameron’s version, insofar as was we are supposed to believe that the poor, down-trodden steerage passengers are deliberately locked below decks so that they can die.

In fact, taking the comparison further, it will be noted that in ANTR the same group of Third Class passengers are among the heroes of the film; we follow them on their fateful journey from “Ireland” (which looks suspiciously like somewhere in Buckinghamshire) and are “with them” on their escape to the safety of the boat deck — willing them to live. In Cameron’s version, one of them (risibly) gets shot by one of the ship’s racist, incompetent and mentally unstable officers! It is almost laughable.

Sorry, a there is a minor error in my last post - Earl St John, the American producer who was in overall charge of Pinewood Studios when A Night to Remember was made, was the "Executive Producer", not the executive director.

>>Although I have to admit that I have not seen the entire "A Night To Remember" (maybe it's just me, but they just don't seem to run very often where I live and haven't gotten the video yet), but what few scenes that I have seen it looks like a lot of the dialogue was used in Cameron's version.<<

I have the DVD's for the Titanic movies of 1953, ANTR , 1997 and the TV miniseries with George C. Scott.

There is quite a lot of the dialogue in the Cameron 1997 version from ANTR and the others.

A few examples:

The lines about the number of trunks, etc. in the opening scenes in the Cameron 1997 version is almost identical to that in ANTR...even our good friend Caledon Hockley looks very much like ...and speaks very much like the snob....like the younger gentleman in ANTR .

Molly Brown's speech in the 1997 version is identical to Richard Sturges's speech in the 1953 version : "Why do the British have to sound dinner as if it was a cavalry charge ?"

Jack Dawson's farewell speech to Rose Dewitt-Bukater in the 1997 version is almost identical to Gifford Rogers to Annette Sturges in the 1953 version: "I wouldn't have missed this....."

Possibly there are many others.

>>I thought title to the song was "Near, far, wherever you are ...." LOL.<<

At least ANTR spared us the almost obligatory song that movie makers like to put at the end of their flicks these days.

Mike-It's those damn ancillary markets-they're always looking for a big hit song from a (usually) new artist with 'tween appeal or a hot mega star. Almost never has anything to do with the flick; at least "My Heart" fits. Imagine a "gangsta rap" on 'Titanic' from 50 Cent instead. Enough to make you shudder! WILL

>>Imagine a "gangsta rap" on 'Titanic' from 50 Cent instead.<<

Ewwwwwwwwwww....there goes my lunch!
queasy.gif

>>At least ANTR spared us the almost obligatory song that movie makers like to put at the end of their flicks these days.<<

Michael, don't get me wrong, I'm just as much a devotee of ANTR as any others on this Website, but I wish they had a more complete listing of actors, etc. (I don't see Bernard Fox [Frederic Fleet] listed-is he on there somewhere ?).....at least on JC's you can find out who the "Second to the assistant broom pusher" was...if you can stand the song that long...but then there's that little "mute" button that's always there on your remote control.....

>>but I wish they had a more complete listing of actors, etc.<<

So would I but the conventions of the time didn't require all that much. The credits these days go on forever, but back in the 1950's, it would be the principle actors followed by "The End"

Curt, but it spared us the song at the end of the show!
wink.gif

Cameron should perhaps have taken one more line from ANTR and followed up the rendition of My Heart Will Go On with an Oirish passenger calling out "Ah well now, that's enough of that. Give us something livelier."

Back