Eaton and Haas Deck Plans

Because of the number of postings relating to deck plans and room numbers I would like to draw attention to two small errors in the E&H deck plans.
1) They have mistakenly numbered rooms B-99 and B-100 as B-103 and B-104. - see the Father Browne plans. and
2) On F-deck they have mistakenly put an F in front of some of the room numbers. For example F62; F64; F71.

However, there is a more major error in their main text. On the first page of Chapter 3: Fitting Out; the description of the suite rooms on B deck is of the Britannic; NOT of the Titanic. I draw particular attention to the description of the Starboard side suite and the number of 'parlour suite' cabins. - On Titanic the Starboard side Parlour Suite was identical to the Port side Parlour Suite and there were only 24 Suites ('parlour suite' cabins).

Lester

Hi, Lester!

Thanks for that information. If E&H were mistakenly attributing many of Britannic's characteristics to the Titanic, that might explain why their deck plan shows the kennels on F deck instead of on the boat deck.

All my best,

George

Lester, thanks for that bit of information. I'll have to annotate this info to my plans somehow. (A red pen perhaps with a note on the source?)

Just out of curiosity, does anyone have any information on which plans are THE most reliable?

Cordially,
Michael H. Standart

Hi George,

You could be right; but I believe that it is just that E&H failed to read the Specifications for B-deck before they included what is so clearly Britannic as Titanic.

I have looked at my rather small (size wise that is) deck plans for the Britannic and what I read as Dog Kennels ..?.. over; were on the Boat Deck, Port side, aft, near the Turbine Engine Casing.

When I look at the E&H deck plans I see they have the kennels where the Shipbuilder plans have: Butcher's Shop. On the Olympic were they part of the same area?

Generally there seem to be too many differences between Titanic and Britannic for anyone to confuse the two.

Regards and best wishes,
Lester

Hi Michael,

Apart from immediate necessity of re-numbering two B-deck rooms; removing the F from before the numbers of some of the 3rd Class rooms on that deck and the query over the Dog Kennels; the E&H plans still seem to be the best we have. Having said that there is a stairway that goes nowhere on E-deck. I have been told that it goes into the Fan Room on F-deck; but I find it strange that a stairway from a Fan Room would come up between staterooms E-62 and E-63. No other plans show these stairs. I also understand that there were intercommunications doorways between the 1st Class rooms on D-deck which do not show on either the Shipbuilder or E&H plans.

Regards,
Lester

Hi, Lester!

>When I look at the E&H deck plans I see they have >the kennels where the Shipbuilder plans
>have: Butcher's Shop. On the Olympic were they >part of the same area?

Researchers who have access to far more Olympic research material than I do tell me that that was the case.

All my best,

George

Lester, thanks and in regards the Dog Kennls, my E&H plans show the spaces on the Titanic as Gal Store and 2cnd Class Cloak room respectively. on the port side of the turbine casing. Which one went to the dogs? (I think we can eliminate that Fan Room unless all that was re-arranged. Strange things happen in shipyards.)

Cordially,
Michael H. Standart

Hi Michael,

There seems to be some confusion here. When I spoke of the Dog kennels on the Boat Deck; it was Britannic's Boat Deck.

Looking at the E&H plans the features you mention are directly aft of the Turbine Engine Casing. On Britannic what I am reading as the Dog kennels ..?.. was directly to port from the Turbine Engine Casing. - The boat decks on Titanic and Britannic are quite different.

On Titanic in the area you mention there is also the Deck Chair storage area; so clockwise starting at 12 o'clock aft of the Turbine Engine Casing you have: Gal Store; Fan Rm; Deck Chairs; 2nd Class Clock Room.

Sorry but I have no idea where on Titanic's Boat Deck the Dog kennels were. Perhaps George or someone else can advise.

Hope this helps.

Regards,
Lester

Lester, you're in the same neighborhood I am. I was looking at all the spaces around the number 4 stack on the port side. From aft to fwd; 2cnd class cloak room, galley store, the casing itself, a door leading to a spiral staircase, and that fan room. Some of these spaces are pretty small and I had to use a magnifying glass to spot them on my plans. I can't see the fan room getting changed over to keep the pups. That would involve some pretty signifigent changes to the arrangement of the ventilation. But that cloak room and the galley store look like good possibilities.

Cordially,
Michael H. Standart

On the Eaton and Haas plans, there are three unlabeled interior rooms aft of the maids and valets saloon, and a smaller room that I cant read the label for. So I have a question, there are no rooms 117, 119, or 121, on these plans, so is that there real location.

Hi Mike,

You mean forward of. - The room immediately forward [with the label you cannot read] was the Postal Workers & Marconi Operators Saloon. The 3 staterooms forward to that [aft-forward]; were C-121, C-119 and C-117, forward of which was a Service Room and a Pantry.

Lester

Hello Christian,

And what leads you to that conclusion?

Bert Pickard stated that he was in Cabin 10 at the stern of the ship. That points to G-10. - When he wanted to go back to his room: "...The stewards would not allow us to go back. They made us all go forward on the deck. ...." Quote from his testimony at the American Inquiry.

It is also likely that Mesdames Sandstrom and Strom and their children shared G-6.

Back