Arthur Lewis

In Titanic Voices there is a picture of Arthur Lewis and his wife on their 70TH wedding anniversary! Does anyone know when they were married? How long after the 70th did the marriage last?
When did the couple pass on?

Regards, Greg.

Dose anyone have any information about him or any scans of his signature ? For a survivor that lived so long it seems there is very little information about him.

I also wonder if there are any pictures of him when he was a steward or during the Titanic period. I have a picture of him from Titanic voices but that is him as an old man. I looked on Titanica and there only seems to be a graining picture of him with a beard - unless I am mistaken.

If there seem to be no period pictures of this survivor are there dose anyone know of a decent picture of a third class steward ?

Thanks

'Titanic Voices' has a photo of Sidney Sedunary in uniform on page 159. There's another group pic of 3rd Class stewards in uniform on the Olympic (including Sidney Daniels who survived Titanic) on page 142.

Thanks Bob,

But other than Titanic voice's this survivor seems to have been forgotten.

He must have gone to conventions and lived long enough to be quite a prize survivor rather than just a baby or very young girl at the time of the sinking.

I wonder when he died and if he did go to Titanic conventions.

Hello Greg

According to another thread (which you can access via the weblink below) Arthur Lewis died in January 1973. I can't give you clear date for when they were married, but at the latest it would probably have been around the end of 1902 (however it could be earlier). On the BBC archive website, there is a 1984 radio programme about Titanic which features an interview with Violet Lewis, so she was presumably still alive in the early 1980s, but I don't know when she died.

Sorry if this isn't much help.

Thomas.

https://www.encyclopedia-titanica.o...resources/20740-photos-their-obituarys-2.html

The book Titanic: Legacy of the World’s Greatest Ocean Liner by Susan Wels quotes on page 91 the 3rd class steward Arthur Lewis, who met three ladies on the first class promenade deck and asked her to board one of the lifeboats, but the ladies refused because they felt safer on the ship. Unfortunately, no source is given for this passage. Does anyone know when and to whom Arthur Lewis might have made that statement?

The book Titanic: Legacy of the World’s Greatest Ocean Liner by Susan Wels quotes on page 91 the 3rd class steward Arthur Lewis, who met three ladies on the first class promenade deck and asked her to board one of the lifeboats, but the ladies refused because they felt safer on the ship. Unfortunately, no source is given for this passage. Does anyone know when and to whom Arthur Lewis might have made that statement?
Just a couple of thoughts.

Possibly, Lewis had been in touch with Walter Lord and such an incident is mentioned in the Lord papers held in London ?

Or Lewis may have mentioned it in one of the TV and radio interviews he gave during the sixties and seventies ?

You do raise a really good point about how some writers on the Titanic do need to up their game when it comes to citing sources.

Just a couple of thoughts.

Possibly, Lewis had been in touch with Walter Lord and such an incident is mentioned in the Lord papers held in London ?

Or Lewis may have mentioned it in one of the TV and radio interviews he gave during the sixties and seventies ?

You do raise a really good point about how some writers on the Titanic do need to up their game when it comes to citing sources.
I also thought that the statement might come from Walter Lords documents...

I asked because I’m trying to find out the truthfulness of the testimony and the identities of the three ladies. I think it were some of the first class ladies who left the ship very late in the boats 2, 4 and D. But first, I have to find out where the statement came from.

I also thought that the statement might come from Walter Lords documents...

I asked because I’m trying to find out the truthfulness of the testimony and the identities of the three ladies. I think it were some of the first class ladies who left the ship very late in the boats 2, 4 and D. But first, I have to find out where the statement came from.
Walter Lord's papers at the National maritime Museum in Greenwich, London are probably your best bet for finding material on Arthur Lewis. I hope it will be safe for you to be able to travel there and read them at your leisure very soon ;)

Dr Paul Lee went through the whole lot of Lord's papers a few years back.

Broadly speaking he says there is nothing there for the technical historian, however there is some good information for the social historian of the disaster.

p 7 10412.JPG
more info on my great grandad after the sinking of the titanic and future ships he worked on

Back