Bridge Etiquette

This is another one, more or less directed at Captain Erik Wood, although I'd be interested in what anyone has to say on the subject.

In the section of TAOS that describes the sinking of the Titanic Lightoller mentions that off-duty officers were not welcome on the bridge. While I think I understand why this would be, a professional comment on the subject would be welcome

Pat W.

I know this post is old by 5 years, but I do have a little to add. Now I am NO proffesional in the maritime business by I am a Sea Scout serving on Sea Scout Ship 39 in the USA. When people are not on duty it is not liked for them to be on the important bridge as it clutters the space and it is better to have just the set people on duty instead of onlookers. But again, I am NOT a professional seaman.

>>But again, I am NOT a professional seaman.<<

Perhaps not, but you pretty much got it right. Proper bridge operations are critical to the ship's safety and the last thing they need is for people to be houseguesting around and causing a distraction. If you have no business there, then you're expected to be somewhere else.

As a professional: the bridge is where you work. It's no different than any other work place. A workmate who can't stay away has a reason for being there and it's not cause he's lonely and it certainly won't be to admire your work!

In James Cameron's 1997 film--TITANIC, there's a scene for which Thomas Andrews (Victor Garber) is seen on the bridge...showing the Caledon Hockley Party touring the ship.

Was this kinda thing vogue in those days to take passengers onship tours about the ship...and to bring them to the bridge?

>>Was this kinda thing vogue in those days to take passengers onship tours about the ship...and to bring them to the bridge?<<

It might have been to some but White Star frowned on that sort of thing. They took bridge dicipline very seriously. The skipper of the Olympic actually got into some trouble for showing a passenger the bridge, and that passenger was no less then the Prince Of Wales.

>>It might have been to some but White Star frowned on that sort of thing. They took bridge dicipline very seriously. The skipper of the Olympic actually got into some trouble for showing a passenger the bridge, and that passenger was no less then the Prince Of Wales.<<

In the "Titanic : Adventure Out of Time" CD-ROM game.(definitely a bit of some more fiction):
"Third Officer Morrow" makes a point that "Passengers are not allowed on the bridge !",
...but after a bit of sweet talking he allows you
(as Special Agent Carlson) to enter the Marconi Room which would have been a definite no-no. :)

Michael, et al.,

I have often seen the Father Brown photo, captioned as "The only photo ever taken of the Titanic wireless room" or something similar. The photo (accidentally double exposed) is supposedly of Harold Bride at the operating table with his back turned. I have always wondered, given White Stars reticence to allow passengers to clutter up the bridge, how would Father Brown get access to the Wireless Room. He would have had to do some pretty serious snooping about to find his way past the other officers' quarters to the door through which this photo is allegedly taken. How is it that Father Brown could make his way to the Wireless Shack without being stopped I wonder?

>>I have always wondered, given White Stars reticence to allow passengers to clutter up the bridge, how would Father Brown get access to the Wireless Room.<<

By walking up to it. The Wireless Room wasn't a part of the bridge. It was located in the same deckhouse but back in the area with the officers quarters and some of the smaller 1st Class passenger cabins. So long as he didn't bother the operator, I doubt anybody would care much about Fr. Brown's presence.

>>>>I have always wondered, given White Stars reticence to allow passengers to clutter up the bridge, how would Father Brown get access to the Wireless Room.<<

Possibly Fr. Brown just looked in the Marconi Room and took the picture while Bride's back was turned to him.

Back