Mary Kezia Roberts

Reference Mary Keziah Roberts Stewardess.
She was on the HMHS ROHILLA which went down off Whitby in October29 1914. Your reference to the ROHILLA is incorrect. The ship was not sunk by Germany, it did run aground off Whitby and 84 were lost.

hello,i have been told by my father that this lady was my great great aunt, and have learnt that in her later life even though fairly well off financialy she chose to become a bag lady ,or tramp whichever term you prefer, i just thought it may be of some interest,thankyou for reading.

I am looking for information relating to Mary Roberts and would welcome anything other than her address and family. I would really like to locate a source of a photograph. I am in contact with her descendants and am hoping to share something new with them.

Hello Colin - I can add a bit - I hope that it helps?
Cheers Brian

ROBERTS, Mrs. MARY KEZIAH. Saved in Lifeboat D. Lived at 9 Chestnut Grove, Nottingham. Occupation - Stewardess. 31 years old. (Born in Liverpool). RMS Adriatic.
Died 2nd January 1933, from Ewell Epsom, Surrey, Parish Church.
Husband died through motor cycle accident.
Is buried with her husband in the St Mary the Virgin Church, London Road, Ewell, Epsom, Surrey.
From The Nottingham Daily Express, Thursday, April 18th 1912, page 7).
A NOTTINGHAM STEWARDESS
Mrs. M. K. Roberts, one of the stewardesses, is the wife of the principal of the West Bridgford Motor Company, 9, Chestnut Grove, West Bridgford, and has been in the service of the White Star Line for some years. She was recently transferred to the Titanic and was at home with her husband and family only a few weeks ago for a brief stay prior to proceeding to Southampton.
It is understood that Mr. Roberts has not yet received any official communication in regard to the matter. He has, of course, despatched messages in request of information, but it is not probable that any definite reply will be obtained before Friday.
The case is rendered all the more painful by the fact that there are five children, the oldest of whom is 13 and the youngest three years of age.
(From The Nottingham Daily Express, Saturday, April 20th, 1912, page 7).
WEST BRIDGFORD LADY SAFE
Mr. Roberts of 9 Chestnut Grove, West Bridgford, whose wife was a stewardess on the Titanic, has received a cablegram announcing that she is safe.

Hello Brian,

Thank you for responding to my request for help. With help from Mary Roberts family I am in a far better position and have learnt quite a bit more now and would initially like to add the following;
Born in 1870, Mary Roberts would have been 42 when the Titanic was lost. A memorial in the church of St Mary the Virgin Church, Epsom lists “In memory of Mary Keziah Roberts 1870 — 1932,” passing away aged 62 just one year before her husband. They left behind five children, Keziah, Daisy, Frank, Kathleen and Mary.
One thing that is confusing is the lifeboat she was on, I can only assume that the confusion comes from the many lists that might have been published. I am in the process of putting together a small article on Ms. Roberts and hope to add it here soon.

Hi, I am the great granddaughter of Mary Keziah Dooley Humphry Roberts.  You have her name written with 2x z. It is infact Keziah. I have a photo of her and the other stewardesses that were with her on the Titanic and the telegram telling my great grandfather that she survived. I was lead to believe she was the Chief 1st Class Stewardess. I also have a weight made for her by one of the engine boys to help her alarm clock to stay upright as she was always late for work. I was also told she was also on the Lucitaina She was married 2nd December 1896 ( PAS. 13417/64 collum 100) Baptist Church St James' Terrace Stapleford, Sawley District Shardlow Leicester, to David  Roberts and inventor of the electric scooter exhibited in the crystal palace exhibtion.  She actually died in 1932 not 1933 (PAS. 26029/64) Her Father Invented Sunlight Soap

Hi, I am the great granddaughter of Mary Keziah Dooley Humphry Roberts. You have her name written with 2x z. It is infact Keziah. I have a photo of her and the other stewardesses that were with her on the Titanic and the telegram telling my great grandfather that she survived. I was lead to believe she was the Chief 1st Class Stewardess. I also have a weight made for her by one of the engine boys to help her alarm clock to stay upright as she was always late for work. I was also told she was also on the Lucitaina She was married 2nd December 1896 ( PAS. 13417/64 collum 100) Baptist Church St James' Terrace Stapleford, Sawley District Shardlow Leicester, to David Roberts and inventor of the electric scooter exhibited in the crystal palace exhibtion. She actually died in 1932 not 1933 (PAS. 26029/64) Her Father Invented Sunlight Soap
Hello,
I am trying to contact any relatives of Mary as her story may be incorporated into a play that is being written about the Rohilla.

Hello and welcome to the ET Message Board,
Hello,
I am trying to contact any relatives of Mary as her story may be incorporated into a play that is being written about the Rohilla.
The member you are responding to hasn't been seen on the message board, since they posted. But if you hover your mouse or click on the member's profile, you'll be able to send a message to them which they should receive by e-mail.

Last edited:
Hello and welcome to the ET Message Board,

The member you are responding to hasn't been seen on the message board, since they posted. But if you hover your mouse or click on the member's profile, you'll be able to send a message to them which they should receive by e-mail.
Jason,
Thank you for your response. Unfortunately, when I click onto the profile of each of the relevant members it tells me that their profiles are unavailable.

Back