Annie Martin

Inger Sheil

Does anyone know if Stewardess Annie Martin used an address in Ireland c/o a Mrs Phelps at any point in her life?

I've recently been given access to Harold Lowe's address book. The book is undated, although a memoranda slip inserted in the leaves has the date 1914. There are a number of Titanic survivors listed, although most are passengers he had direct contact with in the boats in his flotilla (Rene Harris, etc). One entry is under the married name of someone who wed some time after the disaster, so the contact details may span a good number of years.

The 'Annie Martin' may well be coincidental, but I wonder if anyone here could shed any light on it?

G'day Peter -

No worries on the Annie Martin question - I realise it's a long shot, and the two may be totally unconnected (time to rope in the Irish Molony brigade, though!).

I'm afraid I didn't get your email! I've been rather trigger happy with all the spam of late (you didn't by any chance give your email a racy subject line, did you
happy.gif
), and am closing the BT account altogether. I'll email you my new, spam free address so you can send through the message.

Inger,
Morning - this may help a bit:
(From the Hampshire Post - date not known).
Also on board is Mrs. Coghlan, of Beach Road, and who is on board as a First Class Stewardess.
Mrs. Coghlan who is engaged under the name of Miss Annie Martin is among the official list of those missing and much sympathy is felt for Mr. Coughlan in such a time of suspense. It is believed that this lady had also been on board the Olympic and was with the vessel when she collided with HMS Hawke in the Solent.
If you get in touch with me by email I can give you and address in Guernsey where a helpful relative of hers lives.
Cheers
Brian J. Ticehurst - Southampton UK.

Cheers, Brian! I'll drop you a line. I'm not expecting that this Annie Martin will turn out to be the same one, but it seems worth chasing up.

Hello,
I noticed you are discussing Mrs. Annie Martin.

Forever I have been told that my Grandmothers Father's Mother was on the Titanic and that her married name was Martin. And Annie is the only one that I've been able to find with that last name and yet we were always under the impression she had passed at the time of the sinking.

I was wondering if anyone knows anything about her or her family or her life after this incident that I may be able to link to myself or, if not, then I will be able to look elsewhere for my relation.

I really appreciate any information anyone can give me.

Thanks.

Hallo, Becky. It's for sure that no woman called Martin died in the sinking. Also, the info posted above by Brian suggests that Annie Martin had signed on under her maiden name, which would of course rule her out if you're sure that Martin was your relative's married name. If she survived the sinking and became Mrs Martin at some later date, you're left with a great many possibilities, too many to investigate if you have no other leads. I'd say that your best chance is to work backwards from your own generation through family documents and public records like the 1901 census, birth certificates etc. It's not very difficult to get back 4 or 5 generations, and some of the members here are keen genealogists who might be able to help.

Great. I really appreciate your help.

I must have overlooked the fact that she had signed on by her maiden name.

I figured this was worth a shot even if it was in the dark.

Thanks for the advice as well. I actually have a friend of mine who is a great genealogist helping me out. I was just taking the first step in investigating here.

Back