1910 Renault Automobile

I understand that some where on the Titanic,there is stored a new 1910 automobile. I wonder if,after all these years,if there is a chance that it might still be there and if so,there would be any chance that it could be retrieved?

As steel doesn't float, it's no doubt there! Catch is, it's somewhere in the bow, well below the level of the sea floor. If you had unlimited funds and no conscience at all, I suppose it could be retrieved. Then you'd have a VERY rusty old Renault and the hatred of all Titanic enthusiasts.

I would seriously doubt that the Renault has survived after all these years. The steel used then would have rusted away long ago. The only remaining parts now might be a pile of polished brass and some leather from the seats. The glass would be there too. The cars bodywork would have collapsed around itself. this is assuming that the car and any other cargo didn't tear lose on the way down or on the impact. I would think the tires may still be intact as well. I would rather get my hands on a bag of mail from the hold. Imagine if we could read some of those old letters!

Dave

It's never been figured out if it was in one piece or not! I hear that it was listed as normal cargo and some historians have suggested that it my of been packed in cargo crates rather than fully assembled!

Anyway, I guess 90% of it's thin metal has rusted away by now. Although, I expect the engine block is probably still down there, waiting to be taken for a spin, perhaps!

I wonder what we would find if we could explore the darkened corridors at will! Wouldn't it be fascinating to check out the Turkish bath, swimming pool or the REAL Man-at-Arms' office...

Hello everyone.Could anyone tell me if it is true that the London Bank was transporting a secret cargo in the Titanic. I heard that it was going to be revealed in the 100 aniversary of the sinking.Is this true?

I don't know about that, but I'd take it with a pinch of salt!

Many stories about the Titanic are false. After all, old tales of sunken treasure and secret cargo makes for good story telling, right!

Hi Charmaine, The Renault belonged to Wiiliam Carter. A rather infamous First class passenger who did make it into a lifeboat. His wife divorced him and made mention that he left the Titanic before she did! There is plenty written about him and his renault. Grab any Titanic book or just surf around this website a little.
Dave

Hi Kyle,

I think you meant "corroded" but anyway - I would agree that most of the car would be rotted away, certainly the wooden coachwork and wheels would have been gone by 1915, perhaps even the body itself is gone, but fragments of the body and perhaps the leather upholstery may remain. Certainly the bare frame itself complete with axles and engine block would have survived 91 years down there, having been cast from steel and iron. Now whether it was forcefully smashed to bits and ejected from the holds when the ship hit bottom is another matter, judging by the devastated Grand Staircase remains I doubt anything in the cargo holds fared any better.

Best Regards,

Brian

Back