Patrick Shaughnessy

I am exteremly interested in the Titanic. I was wondering if there were any way in finding out if I am a relative of one of the 3rd class passengers.Any info yuo could give me on this person would be greatly appreciated.His name was Patrick Shaughnessy. Thank You!

Erin Smothers
Boston,Massachusetts

Hello everyone
I am looking for any information anyone has on a Third Class passenger by the name of Patrick Shaughnessy. I am interested in finding out if I am a relative.
Thank you for your help.
happy.gif

Hi, Erin,

I found quite a bit on Patrick Shaughnessy in the excellent book "The Irish Aboard Titanic", written by Senan Molony, with a great deal of research by Phil Gowan.

28 year old Pat Shaughnessy, from Tynagh, Co Galway, boarded at Queenstown (now Cobh). He had an older brother named Tom, a farmer, who stayed in Ireland. According to this book, 'Pake" (his nickname) was travelling to America to join his sister Bridget - she had married a man named Burke and the two were living on Lexington Avenue in New York at the time. He had another brother named Willie (probably William). In fact, in the 1911 census, Ellen (Pat's mother) is shown as having 8 children (the other names are not listed here).

Hope this is of some help. If it is, you can thank Molony and Gowan, two of the best in the business.

Best regards,
Cook

There are inaccuracies in this account. His brother Thomas married Delia Garvey not Anna Quinn. The latter married a cousin. He was travelling to his brother William not to his sister Bridget

This is fascinating. I’m not sure about the accuracy re:!who Thomas married; however, Patrick was going to NYC to live with his sister Bridget (who always went by the name Delia) she was my grandmother and was living on Lexington Ave at the address noted above.

Patrick was my grandfather's ( Michael's) brother. My grandfather Michael remained in the parish of Tynagh and my father Thomas was born there. I'd heard Patrick swapped his boat ticket to the Titanic because he was waiting on money he was owed from a bet on a horse.

Hi Erin,
I have just seen your post. Patricks Shaughnessy was my mother's uncle. I know a bit about the family so may be able to help you. I am aware that this is a long time after your original post but I would be delighted to share any information I have with you.
Best regards,
Maura Duggan

Patrick was my grandfather's ( Michael's) brother. My grandfather Michael remained in the parish of Tynagh and my father Thomas was born there. I'd heard Patrick swapped his boat ticket to the Titanic because he was waiting on money he was owed from a bet on a horse.
Hello Marian-
It was so interesting seeing this. Patrick was my grandmothers Bridget’s brother so as I understand it, our grandparents were siblings. We’ve heard the story too that he was originally scheduled to travel on a different boat. There’s a book “The Irish Aboard the Titanic” that tells the story of his mothers premonition that something had happened to him. Unfortunately, our grandmother died in 1960 so we really didn’t get to know her, or hear her stories.She had three children. Marion, William and Peter (our father). I hope you are well.

How interesting to find this thread by googling "William Shaughnessy NY and Titanic". Patrick (Pake) Shaughnessy's mother Ellen (nee Donnellan/Donelan, Donlon) was my great grandfather's sister. I do not remember Pake's brother Thomas but I knew Delia (Garvey) well. As a kid growing up in Tynagh I often heard the story about Pake changing his sailing plans because he was waiting for payment for a horse he had sold to a farmer. Only recently have I learned he was going to join his brother Willie in America. Due to some recent ancestry matches it has become apparent some of his Donlon cousins were also in NYC.
Best regards
Maureen (Donnellan) Brothers

Hello everyone
I am looking for any information anyone has on a Third Class passenger by the name of Patrick Shaughnessy. I am interested in finding out if I am a relative.
Thank you for your help. View attachment 29500
Hi Erin and others. I believe my grandfather Michael Shaughnessy paid for Patrick's passage on the titanic and he was to meet up with his sister Bridget in New York.
My grandfather Michael was his uncle who also migrated fromTynagh Loughrea a small town east and a little south.of Galway. (Feel free to email)
Kevin Shaughnessy Bedford NH
[email protected]

Hi Erin and others. I believe my grandfather Michael Shaughnessy paid for Patrick's passage on the titanic and he was to meet up with his sister Bridget in New York.
My grandfather Michael was his uncle who also migrated fromTynagh Loughrea a small town east and a little south.of Galway. (Feel free to email)
Kevin Shaughnessy Bedford NH
[email protected]
Hi Kevin, this thread is so interesting! My grandmother was his sister Bridget (or as she was known, Delia) She died before we were born so I’ve only heard distant stories but we also heard that Patrick was going to stay with her and her family in New York.

My grandmother was his sister Bridget (or as she was known, Delia)
For a moment I thought that you were referring to Bridget Delia McDermott, Titanic survior and one of Addergoole 14 and who was not Patrick Shaughnessy's sister. I can see now that Patrick's "youngest older" sibling was a sister named Bridget, whom you say was also called 'Delia' and who was already living in New York when her brother was lost with the Titanic.

The only other Bridget among the Titanic's Third Class Irish passengers was another survivor named Bridget Bradley who was from County Kerry. Although her middle name is not mentioned on ET, I have read a few accounts where it was said to be Delia.

I wonder if it was common for Irish girl babies to be Christened as Bridget to be also given the middle name Delia? In the 1990s, an Irish BTS member who had researched into the "Addergoole 14" group told me that as a young woman in Ireland, Bridget Delia McDermott did not like to be called Bridget because there were so many others with that name; apparently, she wanted to be addressed a 'Delia' but I don't know if that remained after she settled in the US.

Back