Marshall Brines Drew

I am looking for information on Marshall Drew's personality. Was he mischievous, or more well behaved? What would he have done while on the Titanic? If anyone out there can answer these questions, that would be great.

I have checked his bio, and his view on what happened. Do you know any of his mannerisms at all? I know there are some people, and I have e-mailed them, but I'm not sure if she has responded, though I haven't checked my mail yet.

>>Do you know any of his mannerisms at all?<<

Me personally? No.

I've never met any survivors from the Titanic though I've met some of their decendants. From what I understand he was one of those well mannered, well educated, cultured, yet unpretentious downright nice guys that you couldn't dislike even if you wanted to.

But, that's second hand information.

Hey Michael, thanks for that. I think I could develop a character using those guidelines. Don't worry, though, I'm going to use a pseudonym, not his real name. However, I am going to be using his characteristics. I also hope to mention something about him missing the passenger lists of the survivors because he was having doughnuts and cocoa. That's something that I thought was kind of funny. Thanks again, Michael.
happy.gif

Good news! I went to the library Saturday and found a book titled Titanic: Women and Children First. It contained a well-detailed section on Marshall Drew. Coupled with the information I've received from Michael and from what I've seen on the internet, I believe I have enough information to make a fictional depiction of Marshall Drew. Thanks again for your help.

In the words of Ben Cartwright: "Whoa Hoss!"

Ben, if you want to make a fictional depiction of Marshall Drew which is reasonably accurate, you'll need to go a lot deeper then my extremely limited insights and a single book, however well written. Tim's suggestion to contact Phil Gowan is a good one. He's done some amazing passenger research. You might also want to hold off and see if Shelley Dziedzic has something to offer as...if my memory serves...she knew the man.

I have tried to get a hold of both Shelley and Phil, but my attempts have been fruitless. I haven't gotten to the point where Marshall would come into the story, anyway. I just wanted to be prepared. He would be under a pseudonym, so I would have a relative amount of creative freedom in developing the character. That's why I may have been a bit presumptuous in saying that I would have enough information to make a parody of Marshall Brines Drew. By the way, could anyone help me get in contact with them? Maybe they'll respond to one of you fine people than a lowly researcher like myself.

I've seen Shelley's page and bookmarked it. I just need to get a hold of these two fine people. They haven't answered my messages. While it is highly likely that they are just busy, a flagrant disregard of checking one's electronic messages hurts me to the core *sniff*. Just kidding. Sorry if I seem a little out of sorts, I'm working on a diminished supply of sleep here. That's not good in my book. I don't get done with school and such for another 12 hours. Lucky me, wouldn't you say?

Back on topic, though. Could they just not be e-mailing me back because they have no idea who I am? Do you think I should e-mail them again? If I am not e-mailed soon, I may start a rough character likeness to him, based on my own limited knowledge. However, the characters in my story have yet to enter the Titanic, so there is still a bit of time before I need any heavy duty information.

Maybe they're not replying because they do know who you are, Ben. Just kidding!
smile.gif
. Shelley and Phil are helpful people, but they might well have other priorities at the moment, and in any case we aren't all online every day or even every week, so you might need to be patient. If it takes a few days that's normal, if a few weeks you might want to send a brief reminder. In general, you're more likely to get a quick reply if you ask a few very specific (and easily answered) questions rather than ask for information in breadth, which takes a lot longer to provide.

quote:

Maybe they're not replying because they do know who you are, Ben.
That hurts, Bob. That hurts me real deep.
happy.gif

Nah, I know I'm being impatient. It's just that I don't have a lot of time and I want to get as much research done before I leave for two years. Are you insinuating that I am online everyday? Because if you are, you're probably right. *Sigh* I need a life.​

Hi Ben,

I hope that I might be able to help here. I believe Shelley may be away at the moment.

Thanks to Shelley's kindness, I met Marshall Drew on numerous occasions starting in 1984. Marshall would regularly come to Shelley's home to visit with Titanic friends. I remember him having a wonderful sense of humor, dry in a way, but he was very friendly and interested to talk with anyone who shared his love of history, the art world, photography and life in New York.

I was always amazed at how much Marshall's recollections of the Titanic disaster were full of detail. I especially remember his telling of the morning of rescue. He remembered waking from his slumber in the bottom of the lifeboat and looking out on a sea filled with icebergs, some of which were so close "you could reach out and touch them with the oars!" Marshall also would laugh at his memories of the other kids being hauled aboard the Carpathia in coal bags and sacks. He remembered how silly they seemed to be crying and carrying on during the rescue, and how, he, as a "cool" kid, couldn't wait for the adventure of being hoisted aboard the Carpathia. After he arrived on deck, he said he almost wanted to be given another opportunity to be "lifted" aboard since he enjoyed the experience. He then recalled, as is well known, that he went in search of food, and didn't even wait for his Aunt Lulu to follow him. He was later found mingling with some Carpathia crew members who were "showing" him the ship.

I can recall so many details of Marshall's stories that it would take a book to relate them all. If you have anything specific that you would like to know, please don't hesitate to ask.

Marshall's sense of humor was contagious. I remember him telling the story of driving down the dirt road leading to Shelley's house after a night of Titanic talk and a drink or two. Shelley can tell the story better than I, but apparently Marshall, in his little sports car, drove up the wall of the dirt road and his car flipped over. Shelley found him the next morning and his first response was "I was following the road, and than I found myself looking up at the stars!"

Marshall was a beloved character in his hometown of Westerly, Rhode Island. It would not be unusual to see him speeding down one of the roadways enroute to an art show or photography club meeting. He had countless numbers of friends who all loved his wit and positive outlook on life. Even in his 80s, his mind was much younger and he yearned to capture anything nature beautifully created - either through his camera lens or his painting tools. He was extremely "independant" and very feisty.

Shelley and Marshall were the best of friends, and I will always be grateful to Shelley for giving me the opportunity to meet Marshall. The few years that I knew him, he made an unforgettable impression, and I will always remember his correspondence - the envelope always being completed with caligraphy. I almost hated to open the envelope for fear of ruining his work!

Perhaps when Shelley finds a moment, she can and will relate more. Her memories of this remarkable man are fascinating to hear.

I hope this information will be of help, Ben, and good luck on your project involving Marshall Drew.

Back