Help me please any information on Dorathy Gisbon

Here is the glamourous movie star herself in a never before seen pose
7968.jpg
and she had a personality to match.

Hi, Phil!

Thanks for the laugh! :)

As W.C. Fields once said, "I'd rather have two girls at 21 each than one girl at 42." :)

(I think I'll retire into the shadows now and come out again in 2003 after things have blown over.) :)

All my best,

George

It would seem blondes have more fun.. now somewhere in the archives we have discussed poor Dorothy, her Mama, loves, losses and moment of fame to a fare-thee-well- remember where?

All,

Phil was very naughty posting what amounts to a mug shot or else one of those "before" pictures for a diet scam!

In all fairness to Miss Dorothy she did take a few good photos. I have a silver print from 1926 which shows her looking rather attractive - and youthful for age 37.

Still, if you think Dorothy looks bad in Phil's picture, you should see some of the ones he's got of poor Edith Russell - some real Halloween material there!

Randy

Okay, I'll bite. . . are they REALLY both her?? My goodness the first one is a real wrong-side-of-the-bedder! But the second one looks like a star shot form a later period.
Wafting-in-gulibility-kate.

Hi Kate,
The first one is Dorothy (yes, sad to burst the bubble). The second one is Hope Hampton Brulatour, the woman Dorothy's husband Jules left her for. I have lots of other family photos of Dorothy and this is the worst, of course. But she really wasn't all that attractive in my opinion. Later photos of her show a kind of harsh looking woman with an unfriendly look about her. I have the last picture taken of her (about 3 months before her death) and it is not too bad. She still had a bit of a harsh look about her but was becoming what I guess would be classified as a "nice looking older woman." Another taken in the 1930's has her looking like a cheap imitation of Olivia DeHavilland with an oversized bow of some sort on her dress--will send a scan to Randy and let him figure out how to describe it.

Randy, re: the Edith Russell photos--well, as my grandmother used to say about Bella Abzug: "She could haunt a nine-room house in the daylight."

I actually have some surprisingly flattering photos of Old Edy as well.

Phil

Phil Gowan said;"Randy, re: the Edith Russell photos--well, as my grandmother used to say about Bella Abzug: "She could haunt a nine-room house in the daylight."

Thanks a lot for that one Phil! I just had to get a towel to clean off the mouthful of coffee I sprayed all over my monitor!
proud.gif

Cordially,
Michael H. Standart

Back