GracieRoosevelt connection

Lou Kerr

Is there a genealogist in the house? I'm looking for an explanation of how Col. Gracie and Theodore Roosevelt were related by marriage. In Mrs. Gracie's obituary on this site it states "Her husband was a nephew of King Gracie, who was a brother-in-law of President Roosevelt". Teddy Roosevelt had two sisters, Anna whose married name was Cowles, and Corinne who married name was Robinson. His maternal aunt Anna Bulloch married a James Gracie. Was James an uncle of Archibald Gracie? And was James also known as King Gracie? Thanks in advance to whomever comes forward to answer this query.

Lou

Thanks Jeffrey. I think it's the Gracie family I need to find information about so I'll give the addresses you list a try. I have lots of information about the Roosevelt family trees. Really appreciate your help with this.

Also, regarding another Roosevelt family connection -I've just finished reading The Roosevelt Women in which Marie Young is identified as Alice Roosevelt's (later Longworth)private tutor. I believe Walter Lord said in ANTR that she was a music teacher to all the Roosevelt children. Can anyone clarify this?

Lou

Back