Eugene Patrick Daly

I am interested especially in the passangers who share my surname (no immediate relation that I can find though). I saw a program on the Titanic on TV, forgot which as there are so many now. But it mentioned a set of bagpipes were found which might have belonged to Eugene Daly. Do you think you will be able to find any information on Eugene or Marcella Daly, the 3rd class passengers? My own grandparents did immigrate to the U. S. in the early 20th century but on a different ship . Thank you for such an informative and creatively done site!

Linda Daly
Milwaukee, WI

Thank you, thank you, thank you for the biography on Eugene Daly! You found more information than I did. I play Irish and Scottish music on pennywhistle and bodhran with others in a small group for fun (I'm not a professional musician .....yet) but I have written a a song about Eugene Daly's lost pipes, using them as a symbol for the lives lost in the sinking. The song made my daughter cry. Since people seem to like it, I am going to copyright it. Immediately affer I do that, I will put it here in the guest book to share with everyone.. This may take a few weeks though, as I am still touching up the song (I do not lack for helpfull critics!). Though not related to Eugene Daly, sharing a surname and having ancestors immigrate to America on another ship early in the 20th century, I am haunted by the Titanic disaster. Thanks again for your great Titanic site, it must be a lot of hard work, but I sense also a labor of love..

Linda Daly
Milwaukee

I Believe that Eugene P. Daly was a relative of mine. The Dalys were originally from County Westmeath. Mr. Daly was from this county and the town of Athlone. Please supply me with any information you have regarding this survivor. Thank you. Frank Daly McCabe

Frank Daly McCabe
Chicago, Illinois USA

Looking for other people who are related to Eugene Patrick Daly. Apparently a cousin to my grandmother Rose Boyle thanks Tom Taylor

tom taylor
Malone New York

I have noticed several errors in the listing of which lifeboats passengers and crew were saved in. First of all Eugene Daly survived in collapsible B, not lifeboat 13 (refer to any of Walter Lord's books or research, or 'the truth about Titanic' written by survivor Archibald Gracie, 'The Loss of the SS Titanic' by survivor Lawrence Beesly, or 'Titanic an Illustrated History' By historians Donald Lynch an Ken Marschall, or research done by the late Bill Tatum for confirmation), Peter Daly (no relation) survived in collapsible A, not lifeboat 9 or 3 (see the same sources), and seamen George McGough survived on collapsible B, not lifeboat 9 ( refer to Archibald Gracie's book. He specifically recalls talking with McGough on the raft that night) I hope these obvious mistakes are corrected on this otherwise excellent website.

Tad Fitch
Ohio

Excellent website, but there is a mistake which has been bugging me for some time. You keep listing third class passenger Eugene Patrick Daly as an occupent of lifeboat 13 or 15. I am an amateur Titanic historian and am writing a book about the disaster right now, so I have been doing extensive research. Daly was definately rescued on collapsible B just as he stated he was. His press accounts , private notes to family members, and survivor accounts tell the same story. Other occupents of collapsible B gave eyewitness accounts that state Daly was aboard. Daly was not lying to protect his reputation. He even admits having to be physically thrown out of a lifeboat that he pushed into when there was still women and children around. His accounts of his escape have been confirmed by such notables as Titanic passenger Archibald Gracie, historians Donald Lynch, Ken Marschall, Charles Haas, Walter Lord, and Dr. Robert Ballard just to name a few. Why you persist on stating that every male passenger claiming to be rescued on collapsible A or B is lying is beyond me. Certainly many lied about their escape from the ship (12-17 people survived on A, and 30-35 on B) , but you should do more research before declaring people's accounts are a lie. I think that if a person who was actually saved on collapsible B (Gracie), and 5 of the top authorities on the Titanic agree that he was saved on B, then you should rethink your view, which has no basis in fact.

Tad Fitch
Cleveland

Great website, but Eugene Daly was saved on Collapsible B. If anyone has any evidence to the contrary, please post it, but I guarentee you wont find any. WEhy claim he was saved in 15?

Tom Paige

This is a message for Tom Paige re Eugene Daly. Mr Daly claimed, like so many other men, to having jumped into the sea to save himself. He is not very clear about this at all; he was picked up by a passing boat. This is obviously not true, since only boats D, 4 and 14 ever picked up people in the way he described, and those people are known. I have failed to find any interview where he said he was on an overturned collapsible boat. It seems likely that he just entered a starboard boat, where men were accepted without further ado.

Peter Engberg-Klarström
Stockholm, Sweden

Hello everyone,
I was wondering if anyone could help me out regarding something that I have been looking into for several months, without success. Would anyone happen to know what Eugene Daly's wife's name was? All that I have been able to uncover so far, is that Eugene married sometime after 1912 (he was single at the time of the disaster), and that he was married quite some time before his own death in 1965, since his daughter Marion was old enough to be an informant for his death certificate. I also know that his wife preceded him in death, and that he was a widower when he passed on. Sadly, Eugene is buried in St. Raymond's cemetery, but his wife is not buried with him, or even in the same cemetery. I know that it is a long shot, but if anyone has any information regarding the name of Eugene Daly's wife, please let me know, I'd be very glad to hear from you. Thank you in advance.
Best regards,
Tad Fitch

Ask Senan Molony. According to his new book, the dazzling "The Irish Aboard Titanic", Daly's wife's name was Lillian. Sen might be able to furnish you with more details, and perhaps her maiden name.

Inger Sheil

I am trying to find as much information as possible on Eugene Patrick Daly and Marcella (Maggie)Daly who were related to me. Could you let me have as much as you can or put me in the right direction. Much appreicated.

Helena, apart from this site, get hold of The Irish on Board Titanic by Senan Moloney. Senan is an Irish journalist with access to a great deal of Irish material and has covered the subject in great detail.

Mr Daly, your interest in Collapsible B is understandable. It saved the lives of a number of men including Officer Lightoller, Colonel Gracie and some Irish bloke whose name escapes me.

There is some confusion here. Senan Molony's article "The Tender America" states that Daly was a weaver, but ET lists him as a farmer. I tend to believe Mr Molony, as Athlon is a textile ton, not a farming area.
Secondly, Mr Molony contradicts himself with regards to the instrument Daly played. He states it is a set of uilleann pipes, but then quotes a newspaper article which refers to "War-pipes", which are large, REGULAR bagpipes. Additionally, Mr Molony says that Daly "bit down on the mouthpiece", which is impossible with uilleann pipes as they have NO mouthpiece. Uilleann pipes have two bags, one under each arm. One is a bellows, transferring air through a leather tube usually going behind the player's back. The other is the reservoir bag, to which the pipes are attached. Anyone who saw Micky Spillane play the uilleann pipes in Riverdance knows this. Also, ET may still have a photo of Daly and his pipes posted on this site. The drones are separate, but on uilleann pipes they are bundled as one unit, which looks like a bassoon. (It lays across the knees of the player when being played).
I believe that Mr Molony made an error by assuming that Daly played the (very irish) uilleann pipes, but in fact he played the regular bagpipes.

Back