Jack Ryerson

Second Officer Lightoller considered him a man and since on the port side, it was women and children first, Lightoller didn't want to let him in.

The reason Lightoller probably relented when Arthur Ryerson demanded entry into a boat for his son, Jack was he might have been made aware of the fact that the Ryerson family were going back to the States to bury their oldest son, Arthur Jr. who had just been killed in an automobile accident. Also, at that late stage in the sinking, Mr. Ryerson had to have been aware of how slim his chances now were and was determined to make sure that at least one male family member would be left to support his wife and daughters.

John Borie (Jack) Ryerson became a well-known golfer and investor. He married Jane Morris late in life and they had no children. He died in West Palm Beach, Florida on January 21, 1986 at the age of 87.

His mother, Emily Maria Borie Ryerson was later married to Forsythe Sherfesee, a much younger man. They spent much of their time in Europe and traveling through other parts of the world. She died in Montevideo, Uruguay on December 18, 1939 at the age of 76. Her body was brought back and buried in the family plot in Cooperstown, New York.

Hey david, a member of my church is a ryerson
or more corectly a payton,
the church it's self was home to a Ryerson-Rutter.
this was un known to my freind when she joined.

you seem to be interested in Phila area people hope this is news to you
SET

I was driving in Palm Beach today and passed by the street where Jack Ryerson spent his final days on earth. I took a picture which I hope isn't too big to fit, or else I can email it to you separately if you're interested.

The house is a two story stucco with red clay tile roof, lush tropical landscape, approx. 35-4,000 sq. ft. Surrounded by hedges and accessible by a black, wrought-iron gate between brick pillars topped with plaster urns. A nice little "cottage" just steps away from the ocean, and I thought about it as I turned the corner just a couple of houses away and saw the Atlantic Ocean at a flat calm. I wondered if Jack ever thought about that night in 1912 as gazed out over the sea. He must have frequently visited the ocean, being so close to the beach. You can hear the waves from that distance as they crash into the sand.

By the way, does anyone know who Noreen McKeen might be? She was listed as the resident-owner on Jack's death certificate. I did not see her name listed among family.

Kyrila

Now I'll try to upload the photo.

K

58073.jpg

Back