THERE ARE ALOT OF TITANIC SITES OUT ON THE WEB, I WAS NOT SURPRISED BUT I DO WONDER HOW MANY WERE AROUND BEFORE THE LATEST MOVIE AND SHOW. WAS HAPPY TO VISIT YOURS SINCE IT HAD SUCH A COMPREHENSIVE LIST OF CREW AND PASSENGERS, WHICH IS WHAT I WAS INTERESTED IN. IT TURNS OUT THAT ONE OF MY 4TH GRADE GIRL SCOUTS HAD RELATIVES (DISTANT) WHO PERISHED WITH THE SHIP, EILEEN AND NEIL MCNAMEE, AND SINCE I WAS ABLE TO LOOK THEM UP, I WILL ABLE TO GIVE HER A PRINTOUT OF THEM. THANK-YOU. WHERE DID YOU GET THE PHOTOS? TERRIFIC SITE! AND I HOPE YOU CONTINUE YOUR RESEACH AND EFFORTS TO COMPLETE OTHER BIOS AND DETAILS. INDEED, FOR ALL THE PHOTOS AND EVERYTHING THAT IS OUT THERE TODAY, SOME INFORMATIVE, SOME EXPLOITIVE TO THE DEGREE THAT THE FOCUS IS THAT OF 'HOLLYWOOD' STARS ETC...(IT WS A GOOD MOVIE..I AGREE) IT IS IMPORTANT THAT A SITE SUCH AS YOURS BE OUT THERE TO REMIND PEOPLE OF 'THE PEOLPLE'WHO WERE THE REAL STORY OF TITANIC! THANKS TSC

TRACEY CLIFFORD
BELLMORE, NEW YOR

Re:Third class passengers. Neal and Eileen McNamee. Neal was my mother's Uncle. He was 27 not 24 when he died. His wife Eileen was a local girl from Salisbury. They were married 18 mo. His first job was at Lipton's Bridport before he became branch manager at Salisbury. He was traveling to New York to take up the management of Liptons there. There is a plague and tree planted in their memory in Churchill Park in Salisbury. My Mom tells me that Eileen had a chance to escape the ship but choose to stay with her husband. Her body was later found and burried at sea. Part of this information was reciieved from Brian J Ticehurst. Titanic Historian Southampton.

Peter Dilworth
Dundas Canada previously Donegal Ireland

If anyone has more information about Neal and Eileen McNamee, please let me know. Some of her personal effects were recorded when they found her body but I don't know where they are. They were third class passengers. MR. NEAL MCNAMEE: Neal McNamee, 24, and his wife Eileen were originally from Ruskey in County Donegal, Ireland by way of Salisbury, England. They boarded the ship at Southampton. He worked in provisioning as a branch manager of Lipton's and was travelling to New York with his wife to take up a new post.

K.M. McNamee

We are looking for any relatives or information on three third class passengers: Mr John Adams from Bournemouth, Hampshire and Mr Neil McNamee and his wife Eileen (nee O`Leary) who lived in Salisbury, Wiltshire. We particularly need to know where Neil originally came from - we question Ireland in favour of Edinburgh, Scotland. Also, does anybody know if a transfer list of passengers from RMS Adriatic to RMS Titanic exists? Anything greatly received.

Liz Foyle and Cathi Parker
Warwickshire, England

HE WAS MY GRANDFATHER WILLIAM E MCNAMEE SR.' UNCLE. I DISCOVERED THIS FACT A FEW YEARS AGO WITH THE HELP OF MY UNCLE FRANCIS MCNAMEE. IT IS A FASCINATING STORY ABOUT MY LONG DEPARTED RELATIVES. GOD BESS THEM.

My name is Eileen (McNamee) Davis, I was wondering if anyone had any information on the McNamee's. She married Neal McNamee, She was 19 and on her honeymoon/immigration. I haven't been able to find anything and the photo, name, and birthdate are so eerie that it could have been me. She born on 16th Dec, my birthday is the 29th Dec, our names are spelled exactly alike, and I look just like the photo shown. Could I be related? I would like to know if anyone has any links, info, or can give me any leads to examine this farther.
Thanks, Eileen

Neal's sister Catherine married my great uncle Joseph French. There's quite a likeness between the two siblings when you look at their photos side by side.

You've written that it's unclear what happened to Neal's mother - her death record shows that she died on the 14th May 1917 in Roosky.

Neal and Eileen had a niece born Mary Ellen in 1920 but she was known as Eileen. I wonder if she was called this for her aunt?

Neal's sister Catherine married my great uncle Joseph French. There's quite a likeness between the two siblings when you look at their photos side by side.

You've written that it's unclear what happened to Neal's mother - her death record shows that she died on the 14th May 1917 in Roosky.

Neal and Eileen had a niece born Mary Ellen in 1920 but she was known as Eileen. I wonder if she was called this for her aunt?
Hi Chris, my great grandmother was Ellen McNamee, sister of Neal and Catherine, she had a family and one of her daughters we knew as Aunt Sissy, but my Mum thinks that Sissy was Mary Ellen on her birth certificate, the name Ellen has been passed down to the next generation too, hope this helps

Hi Chris! Any chance you are registered with ancestry.com? My dna shows on my paternal side relations with McNamee and French. I’m so fascinated by this connection and would love to learn more!

ET sources believe that there is a strong probability that a young couple whom Lightoller saw walking up and down the boat deck while he was loading lifeboats were the McNamees. It is uncertain at what stage he saw them, but here is his account (ET).

... One young couple walked steadily up and down the boat deck throughout pretty well the whole of the proceedings. Once or twice the young chap asked if he could help. He was a tall, clean-bred Britisher, on his honeymoon I should say. The girl—she was little more—never made the slightest attempt to come towards the boats, much less be taken on board, although I looked towards her several times with a look of silent invitation, but no, she was not going to be parted from her man...

IF Lightoller's statement was true (and I can see no reason why he would have made something like that up) and IF the couple were indeed the newlywed Neal and Eileen McNamee, the reason why Eileen did not go to any lifeboat would have been that she did not want to leave her beloved husband. To me, that scenario is particularly telling because of what could have been if the McNamees had been on the starboard side of the boat deck rather than Lightoller's port side. Since Lightoller used phrases like "throughout the proceedings" "I looked at her several times" etc, it suggests that the McNamees were on the port side of the boat deck for quite a while. If they had been on the starboard side instead, the chances are that both of them would have found places in one of the lifeboats, survived and gone on to have a life in America.

The reason this couple interested me is that they could have been among many who were lost simply because they happened to be on the "wrong" side of the boat deck at least in the first 45 minutes or so after they started launching lifeboats. Such is life.

Last edited:
Back