Henry James Beauchamp

Very Interesting! I have much interest on this subject as my great grandfather perished on this piece of history. I have been intrigued to find out further information and checked out the passenger list. There is a Beauchamp listed, however, the wrong name and age! Although there was much research done on your webpage ~ and excellent stuff too ~ some information is missing which no doubt ties in with all of the confusion of this disaster. I have proof my great-grandfather perished on this ship by means of a postcard from the titanic itself, sympathy cards and most of all a letter from a US Citizen claiming to have been one of the last people to see my grandfather! I am interested to find other web pages that you think would be informative? Good job!

Julie Beauchamp
Toronto, Canada

first i'd like to thank you for such a well layed out and extremely informative site. My family and i have spent hours looking threw all the sections of this site and many more discussing all the people and their backgrounds that you've displayed. I would also like to find out more about Henry Beauchamp(second class) if you have any information on this man whatsoever I'd be very gratefull if you could forward it to me! thanks once again for doing a tasteful and informative site We'll be checking back often for any changes! Keep up the good work!

Terry Beauchamp
London Canada

I Have just purchased an "ON BOARD TITANIC" letter from Mr Henry Beauchamp, Does anyone have any further info on this 2nd Class passenger??. I would love to hear from you, Steve

I am desperately searching for information on Henry James Beauchamp, ticket #244358. I believe he was my Great Great Grandfather, but have been unsuccessful with my online ancestory searches.
I have learned from Encyclopedia Titanica that he was a 2nd class passenger, boarded in Southhampton and traveled with a Percival James R Sharp.
Any help would be greatly appreciated.

I am a descendant of his and have been looking for more information. I have very little to go on at this point. I am new to this site, so please forgive my forwardness, but might I see a copy of the letter? Even if its just a small part. I was only born in 1975 and never had the pleasure of knowing him.

Tennille, if you're having problems finding a Henry James Beauchamp in the public records, bear in mind that passengers didn't necessarily give their names (or their ages) with absolute precision when buying their tickets. The closest possibility from the 1901 Census returns is a Henry Beauchamp aged 18, born in Kingston (South London) and then living in Teddington and working as a grocer's assistant. Slightly out on the age (should be 17) but small errors of that kind were not uncommon in the Census.

From a quick look at birth records the closest possibility for the same man is Henry William J Beauchamp, who was born in Kingston (South London) in June 1883 and would have been the right age (28) at the time of the Titanic disaster. If you want to check the full details from the Census (there is a small charge for this service) you MAY get the full name and you will certainly get a street address and the names of others resident at that address. If this particular HB was at that time still living with his parents, the names of other family members will be very helpful if they match up with names in your own family records.

The records of the Relief Fund should be useful, as they may list dependents/next of kin. I don't have those records, but other members do - so keep a lookout for more responses.

Hello Bob and All,

I too have found the same birth entry for
H J Beauchamp but have a problem confirming
it as him as Mr Beauchamp's brother apparently
posted a memorial notice in 1914 stating H J
Beauchamps age as 42 years. Not sure what to
make of that situation.

Regards

> Thank you for the information. I have gained renewed hope since people have responded. It is difficult to obtain information since I have lost touch with some family members, while others have passed on in years.

Tennille, glad to offer some encouragement. Keep at it - there's great satisfaction to be had if you do make a connection.

Brian, are you saying that Beauchamp from the Titanic was 42 when he died? That would certainly make a big difference! I'd been thinking that Henry William J (born Kingston and 28 when the ship went down) might have been calling himself 'Henry James' Beauchamp as an affectation inspired by the popular novelist of that name. I haven't checked the details or full name for the other HB I mentioned, but if I remember rightly he's the only one in the Census data who comes within 3 years of the right age - if indeed 28 in April 1912 was the right age?

After a bit of a hiatus I'm back to researching my ancestors and trying to pull some pieces together. So here goes...

Henry James Beauchamp is my Great Grandfather. I see there has been some discrepancy in his age (on most websites its listed as 28) he was in fact 42 years of age. Born in 1870 (although the census captured 1869) in London. He left behind his wife Harriot and two children, William and David and his siblings. His last known occupation (I'm aware of) was a Head Club Superintendant.

After his death, my Grt. Grandmother moved back nearer to her home birth place in the North of England until her death at the age of 80.

My grandfather (William) didn't speak much about the disaster, probably rather traumatized about the whole thing. He was 12 when his father perished and had to take on the role of "man of the house" at a young age. His brother, David, we lost touch with over the years and I'm in the process of locating relatives as I believe he's since deceased.

Again, I'm still doing research and have found out some interesting things on this website. Our family does hold an original Titanic postcard which my Grt. Grandfather sent to his two sons, although he ripped it in half (one half to each one) and must have sent it in a letter to his wife as there is no post mark on the card.

Also, we have a letter from Selena Cook (nee Rogers) she has it signed in her maiden name and as "Lena". This letter was sent to my Grt. Grandmother stating that Selena was the last living person to be in my Grt. Grandfather's company (hmmm, interesting huh?). It is a very eloquent letter and I don't know if my Grt. Grandmother ever responded.

As with many "true" descendants I'm interested to fill in some missing pieces. Obviously there's a lot we'll never truly know. Maybe I should post some of these separately under another thread so here goes:

1. Does anyone know who Percival Sharp was? I'm not sure what the connection (if any) there was with my Grt. Grandfather and him? Again, I haven't done much research on him yet.
2. There's mention of an "On Board Letter" which I was surprised at. I looked it up at Aldrige (?) auctions and it seems to be original. I would love to see a copy of this letter, does anyone have any ideas of how to do this? Again, its only for personal reasons and definately not for monetary. (It makes me sad about some of these "crooks" out there)! Agh!
3. There's mention of a "memorial" that Henry's brother posted - does anyone have a copy of this, I haven't come across it yet. I do have an original "memorial card" although its rather plain and only provides information about his death.
4. Records of the relief fund - I would be interested to pursue this. Any links someone can provide would be greatly appreciated.

Okay, I think that's it <phew>. I've managed to read some of the links here and looking forward to gaining more knowledge. When and if I come across anymore knowledge I will certainly post the information here.

Well, back to the living and my "little monsters" who are now shouting at me ...

Looking forward to hearing more!

Very interesting information, Julie! Thanks for sharing it.

quote:

2. There's mention of an "On Board Letter" which I was surprised at. I looked it up at Aldrige (?) auctions and it seems to be original. I would love to see a copy of this letter, does anyone have any ideas of how to do this? Again, its only for personal reasons and definately not for monetary. (It makes me sad about some of these "crooks" out there)! Agh!

Your best bet would be to contact Aldridge's directly, through their site: http://www.henry-aldridge.co.uk/.

quote:

4. Records of the relief fund - I would be interested to pursue this. Any links someone can provide would be greatly appreciated.

We have a couple of resident experts on the relief fund here, who could assist you; Lester Mitcham and Andrew Williams. Although, there are no relief fund websites that I know of.

As far as questions 1 and 3 go, I'm afraid I don't any information on either one. Plus, unfortunately Perchival Sharp's biography doesn't indicate who he was or how he knew your great grandfather.

I hope this helps.​

Thanks Jason! I'll pursue the options you suggested and keep "digging".

BTW - I tried to do a search on Percival Sharp's biography and can't locate it? Am I having a "pea brain" moment?????? Can you provide the link (thank you).

Hi Brian, re your posting in 2003 re the memorial notice in 1914 posted by Henry's brother. Do you have a copy or a link/source of this information and does it state his brothers name (he had a few). Thanks!

Back