Aftermath of Sept11th 2001 and Titanic

Today I was driving to work when news of the New York bombings unfolded on the radio. After a moment of thinking this was some cruel joke, the utter disbelief set in- then the realization that this must have been exactly how the news of Titanic's sinking was received. My grandmother was 16 back in 1912 -and spoke of how people stood out in the street, staring- some weeping- waiting for news. Today we have CNN- then it must have been agonizing waiting for the newspapers. I remembered the black and white photos outside White Star offices just as today's hordes, nervously waited at the fringes, hoping for news of loved ones. With all the strides in Technology and construction the mighty man-made structures of steel sank vertically into the ground in less than 30 minutes. I thought of the survivors staring into the black void where Titanic had been only minutes before- steam and smoke on the water. And now the eerie quiet of the evacuated city- the ministers in their pulpits already praying for the dead and trying to make sense of a senseless tragedy. And the silence like that of Carpathia's decks when there were no answers. Today was also an end to innocence for Americans- the iceberg was easier to understand.

Am receiving emails from ET friends- New York is 2 hours south of home. Boston has been closed- New York and Washington are in "lock-down"- the next stage down from war alert. All schools in CT and Rhode Island are closed, as are federal buildings. All airports are shut down throughout the country. In New York, water is being rationed- there is a run on groceries- fear that trucks will not be able to get in for a day or so. Disneyland and Disney World, as well as other high-profile landmarks are closed, including Chicago's Sears Tower. I just came from student campus where a candlelight Peace March is forming for 7 p.m. tonight- with a prayer service at 8. My daughter is in virtual gridlock on her way out of Boston. This is the most amazing scenario I have ever witnessed in this country. Everyone is nervously watching the skies everytime a plane or heliocopter is heard- they turn out to be Civil Defense craft. We will keep you posted if news develops.

Here on my campus a prayer service is being organized for 6:30 pm; during my 10:00 math class I heard a plane going overhead, and my eye began to twitch. A guy in my orientation class said he's never going to fly again. Many classes have been canceled and half the campus is huddled around their television sets. I've heard that all the federal buildings in Birmingham have been closed. An ROTC guy in my math class was called out by one of his commanding officers, and I don't even want to know why. A lot of people are talking about the draft, and it's scaring me to death. The career services counselor is likening this to John F. Kennedy's assassination. I was thinking more of Titanic myself... the unreality is amazing.

-Allison L.

Friends abroad- Probably most of you in the UK and other European countries are headed off to bed. Things here are pretty grim. The President is heading from Nebraska back to the White House. Tony Blair has made a speech supporting America, and claiming these attacks as attacks on world stability and democracy. In Connecticut, the governor of the state has mobilized the National Guard and military doctors and nurses to New York. There are still countless victims and posibly survivors in the debris around the impact sites in Manhattan but several buildings near the WTCenter are burning and unstable so rescue attempts are hampered.New York looks like a war zone. This is being compared to Pearl Harbor. Military officials of high rank have virtually promised military retaliation. Today statewide primary elections in Connecticut were cancelled, Amtrak came to a standstill in the Northeast Corridor, all sporting events of every kind were halted, the buslines stopped, airports will not open until noon Wednesday at the earliest. In this state bombsniffing dogs have been deployed to every airport in the state. Two aircraft carriers are enroute to Manhattan, 40,000 units of blood, and medical personnel. Connecticut citizens are lining up to donate blood for New York. Currently F15's are circling Boston airspace and ordered to shoot down anything that's flying over the city that should not be. Most of us here in the country towns are just glued to the TV coverage and radio updates, waiting to see what tomorrow will bring. I understand the Golden Gate Bridge, Hoover Dam, and other such massive works in the country are under maximum security with access denied. Level 4 has not been enforced since Desert Storm. Many internet connections, telephone circuits and cell phone units are not working due to overload. The website at AOL and CNN are giving fairly good and continuing coverage if you can access them.

Thank you Shelly. You are correct that the Golden Gate Bridge and Hoover Dam are closed and many others are monitored like they are when it is a state of war. (like Big Bear and Parker). and theme parks are closed as well. My husband has been monitoring San Bernardino County and all is quiet, but battoned down pretty well, and ready to go. He has been on call, but nothing has come of it yet. I will keep you posted when he hears of anything, or is alerted I will let everyone know. I just heard that there was a bombing in another country, but no real outcome yet. Take care. Colleen

Seattle (as far west from the site of this heartbreak as can be) is also reeing. As all over the county, our airports have been closed. The Space Needle is closed as is the Pacific Science Center (and the Titanic exhibit) There is NOTHING in our skys--very strange. My office in a government building and across the street from the Federal Building was closed this morning but reopened around 1pm. The WTO riots of 12/99 are still fresh in the minds of everyone around here and we are all abit scared(or should I say scarred)
I'm joyous to hear from so many of you and I send my prayers out to all. This is a terrible thing to happen and I appreciate this forum (as always) for giving me a small voice to connect to so many.
-kate bortner.

Nuclear submarines from Groton have been deployed this afternoon. I live about 9 miles off base-the base is at Delta COM status- the status for war conditions. The subs were moved out this afternoon off the coast to protect the fleet. Electric Boat, General Dynamics , Hess oil storage tanks, and other Naval Intelligence strategic targets are located here in the Groton-New London area. The remaining Naval Base and War College at Newport also have targets of interest and have gone to top security status. Five frigates have been sent to patrol off Manhattan as well as USS Comfort , a medical ship and 2 aircraft carriers. Now we are all waiting to see what the President has to say at 8:30 EST.

South Florida is also under alert as we have a large Jewish community. All Jewish Community Centers (including the one in our building) were under extreme security measures. We have heard that there has been an attack in the Afghanistan capitol where Bin Laden is supposedly living. Saw a touching scene where Democratic and Republican senators and congressmen broke into singing "God Bless America". The mood in South Florida is very hawkish. I spoke to many people around the country in the course of my job today and everyone was pro-war. It has been suggested that you contact your representatives and make your feelings known how we should respond to this as a nation. Also, give blood and send cash.
Another interesting note: Tom Brokaw interviewed the architect of the World Trade Center, who said the steel holding up the buildings were designed to withstand hurricanes, earthquakes and one hundred year wars, but nobody ever dreamed of anything like this. He added that the steel could withstand heat from fire for up to two hours, which it did. I found it significant compared to Titanic regarding the time it took for the buildings to fall, the arrogance that they had built buildings to withstand anything, and that it was brought down by something unexpected. Fire instead of ice.

Kyrila. Pat Cook noted that he looked at the hospital that they took some of the wounded to and he believes that it is the same one that they took Titanic survivors to. I am fighting back tears now. One disaster ended in New York, and another one began there. Ironic. Colleen

There is a run on groceries and gas here in NC as well, although for NC, this is normal in any event, mostly inclement weather.

Although I have family and friends in NY, I am sure all is well with them or I am sure that I would have heard otherwise. I still can't get through via landlines.

I can't believe the price gouging on essentials has already begun... one would think in such a time as this that people wouldn't take advantage of the situation.

This tragedy outweighs Pearl Harbor, Oklahoma City or Titanic in American History. The question is now, are we awake yet? Are our eyes opened?

We knew it would be a matter of time, but the shock is still there.

Beverly

To add yet another attrocity in the US, there are people are there who are soliciting funds from various groups who are not who they claim to be.

That is such a slap in the face in light of this horrible tragedy.... why do we prey on each other like this???

The same thing with the gas prices is happening here in Virginia. I live directly across the road from a gas station, and the cars were backed up a very long distance last night. It's still hard to believe this even happened in the first place, but I'm finally accepting the fact that what I saw on television actaully DID happen...

It breaks my heart that evil people (in the US)are taking advantage of our own countrymen, not to mention the racial slurs and threats that are abounding to American Islamics.

My tears are still being shed and many prayers beings said for all of us, in the US and abroad.

God Bless Us All,

Beverly

In SC, our governor issued a decree that there would be no price gouging on gasoline, and if any citizen saw a station doing so, that they were to call the Governor's Office to report any such station. Thankfully, the gas prices have held steady here all week.

I noticed today that most of the more reliable gas stations were only charging .05 cents more than what I saw on Tuesday as in some cases .30 cents more. Thank God that it is steadier now.

I know that in Ohio, that gas was up to $4.50 a gallon, can you believe that mess? I pray that they are prosecuted for taking advantage.

Beverly

Back