Leyland Line Brass Buttons: Why a "Fouled Anchor"?

Apologies if this isn't the right thread to ask such an odd question (This has nothing to do with the Californian).

I've noticed that Brass Buttons on Leyland Line Officers coats have the relief image of an "Fouled Anchor" on them. Considering some superstitions or beliefs that some feel can be unlucky for a ship, can anyone explain why such an image was used?

large.jpg

(Photo above taken from Greenwich Maritime Museum)

It doesn't (as far as I know), I'm just assuming. It just seemed a bit odd to me that having a fouled anchor would be used as an logo since having that actually happen to a ship would be a bit of a inconvenience or hindrance.

Actually a quick check on Google shows this quote from another thread, which makes some sense (not entirely sure if fully accurate:

"The fouled anchor is thought to symbolise steadfastness and hope in tribulation, and has long been used as a christian symbol."

Anchors are used in the Royal Navy on the badges for the ranks of Leading Hand, Petty Officer and Chief Petty Officer, they've always been fouled as long as I know. All of mine certainly were. I know a fair amount of nautical history and have never heard of it being an unlucky symbol.

That makes a lot of sense now, Thank you both. :)

Also Google again shows Cunard White Star and the Aberdeen White Star Line Officer's Button's also using a Fouled Anchor.

(Photos not mine.)

Attachments

• vintage-cunard-white-star-line-ship_1_a00b5772ed6898ae3f0171c674ca3485.jpg
    vintage-cunard-white-star-line-ship_1_a00b5772ed6898ae3f0171c674ca3485.jpg
    33.8 KB · Views: 228
  • 00019218.jpg
    00019218.jpg
    87.3 KB · Views: 272
Oooh [HASHTAG]#excited[/HASHTAG]. I'd love to see the loving look in my wife's eyes as she opened a box with that in it on Xmas day.

The next sound I'd hear would be the ambulance siren as I'm rushed to A and E to have my balls surgically stuck back on.

:)

Back