George Beauchamp

Incredible story of only man to survive Titanic disaster AND the sinking of the Lusitania Daily Mail
George Beauchamp (pictured) is the only person to survive the two worst maritime disasters of the 20th century, according to his family, from Hull, East Yorkshire.

George Beauchamp was on board the Titanic and the Lusitania when they sank
His family say he was the only person to survive the two maritime disasters
He recalled hearing a 'roar like thunder' when the Titanic hit the iceberg in 1912
In 1915 he survived the Lusitania and told family: 'I've had enough of large ships'

Continue reading...

Attachments

• georg-beauchamp.jpg
    georg-beauchamp.jpg
    67.6 KB · Views: 399
The George Beachamp from Hull is not the same George Beachamp that was on the Titanic. Encyclopaedia Titanica has the real George Beachamp totally correct. My parents kept the Woolpack inn in Redbridge Southampton where he was a regular until he actually moved with us. He was a lovely quiet old man who enjoyed the company every evening of our customers who were fellow villagers. he died at the Woolpack in1965.

Incredible story of only man to survive Titanic disaster AND the sinking of the Lusitania Daily Mail
George Beauchamp (pictured) is the only person to survive the two worst maritime disasters of the 20th century, according to his family, from Hull, East Yorkshire.

George Beauchamp was on board the Titanic and the Lusitania when they sank
His family say he was the only person to survive the two maritime disasters
He recalled hearing a 'roar like thunder' when the Titanic hit the iceberg in 1912
In 1915 he survived the Lusitania and told family: 'I've had enough of large ships'

Continue reading...
Wrong George Beachamp. The real George Beachamp born in Eling Southampton never went to hull I knew him personally.

The George Beachamp from Hull is not the same George Beachamp that was on the Titanic. Encyclopaedia Titanica has the real George Beachamp totally correct. My parents kept the Woolpack inn in Redbridge Southampton where he was a regular until he actually moved with us. He was a lovely quiet old man who enjoyed the company every evening of our customers who were fellow villagers. he died at the Woolpack in1965.

This is interesting :)

Did Mr Beachamp ever speak at all of his time on the Titanic that you can recall ?

And did he ever bring along any fellow Titanic survivors from the engineering department in for a pint ?

There was a William Beauchamp who was a 3rd class passenger aboard Lusitania. No connection to George Beauchamp from Titanic. Also the Daily Mail article is showing the wrong person. George Beauchamp is standing directly next to the one with the red cycle.
The George Beachamp from Hull is not the same George Beachamp that was on the Titanic. Encyclopaedia Titanica has the real George Beachamp totally correct. My parents kept the Woolpack inn in Redbridge Southampton where he was a regular until he actually moved with us. He was a lovely quiet old man who enjoyed the company every evening
If you knew George Beachamp personally, then how old are you now Marney? If I may ask?
This is interesting :)

Did Mr Beachamp ever speak at all of his time on the Titanic that you can recall ?

And did he ever bring along any fellow Titanic survivors from the engineering department in for a pint ?
I was about seven when we first moved to the Woolpack . My mother told me not to mention the titanic to mr Beachamp unless he spoke of it first. When I was a little older and he was living with he would receive letters from USA which he would ask me to write his reply’s. being young I never really Took them in to remember any details. One day I remarked on his loverly soft white hair and said it grew through white after the titanic went down. I was nineteen when he died in his sleep 1965 . Fredric Fleet would sometimes come in the lunchtime to have a drink and talk about things.

Thanks Marney.

You say that Beachamp lived with your family at the inn - did he ever have flashbacks or nightmares about what he saw and heard that night in April 1912 ?

That's interesting that Fred Fleet was also was a visitor. Do you remember if he ever said anything at all that stands out for you ?

You might find this article on Fleet's last few years interesting, although very sad, reading.

Just out of curiosity how do you pronounce "Beachamp" ? Is it "Beech-amp" or "Bo-champ" or "Bu - champ" ?

Thanks Marney.

You say that Beachamp lived with your family at the inn - did he ever have flashbacks or nightmares about what he saw and heard that night in April 1912 ?

That's interesting that Fred Fleet was also was a visitor. Do you remember if he ever said anything at all that stands out for you ?

You might find this article on Fleet's last few years interesting, although very sad, reading.

Just out of curiosity how do you pronounce "Beachamp" ? Is it "Beech-amp" or "Bo-champ" or "Bu - champ" ?
I never knew of him having nightmares or flashback but if he did I am sure my mother wouldn’t not have told me .. I never met Fred fleet as I was either at school or work when he came . It was always daytime visits. Years later when I become more interested in the titanic I asked my if she had heard Fred fleet mention the titanic she said what stayed in her mind was always used to say to George. Was if only I had glasses. And it is beech am. I am sorry I don’t know a lot about the titanic . I only remember George as a lovely old man like a grandfather to me. I am pleased he had a happy last few years with us. I was very upset about the hull story as it felt my George Beachamp was non exsistant to the world. When I look back and read he was only 24 on the titanic that’s the same age as my grandson now and I think of him as only a child. I wish I had paid more attention and asked questions .

Thanks for sharing that with everyone on ET Marney ;)

It's nice to know that George Beachamp was a lovely old man who befriended you.

Thanks also for clearing up how to pronounce his name properly.

I don't know if you had already seen this or not but you can read for free, your dear friend George Beachamp's entire testimony given at the British enquiry here:

It's a shame you never got to meet Fred Fleet in person, he was also supposed to be a nice old fellow who was happy to answer questions about the Titanic although still haunted by the night. It's terrible how his life ended in the way it did.

It's interesting Fleet said to your mother "if only we had glasses". The consensus is that binoculars would have made no difference to Fleet and Lee's ability to spot the ice that night. Poor old Fleet probably felt he had to find something to explain why he and Lee never saw the ice earlier but really it was just the conditions that night that stopped them from seeing it earlier.

Back