Anna Louise McGowan

It's so sad and fascinating about all of these people. The new movie said alot about the real thing. It was very realistic. Someone was going to Chicago, right outside my h ometown, Anna (Annie) McGowan. So many people had great lifes, it's so sad that they lost them.

Vanessa
Cicero, IL

I was wondering if anyone could tell me anything about Ann McGowan. I just recently found out that she was born in my hometown, Scranton, PA. Also, Cordelia (Delia) Stanlick, 3rd class, lived in Scranton as well.

I'm new to the ET message boards, but I've been fascinated with Titanic for as long as I can remember. If anyone could offer me any info. I'd greatly appriciate it!

Thanks!
Noelle

I had looked at that page, thank you so much. It seems though, the more research you do, the less and less new information you come across. Every page looks like a carbon copy of the page I read before that. I just wish there was more!

Did you check out the other links on that page? This One is a bit more detailed, but not by much. I can understand you're frustration. I know a number of passenger researchers who have been working for years to try and track down some very elusive people. It's an ongoing effort with no end in sight. I wish there was more myself, but the reality is that most people on the Titanic were not celebrities and had no interest in being such. The ones who made it to the other side of the Atlantic were all too happy to make it there alive and just as happy to get on with their lives without any fanfare.

A number of them called the Titanic "A Night To Forget" and I can't say as I blame them.

Noelle - Greetings - Here is a bit more on Annie Mcgowan which may help:
McGOWAN, ANNIE, MISS (LATER MRS. STRAUBE). Saved in Lifeboat number 14. Born 5th July 1895, died 30th January 1990 and was buried in the All Saints Cemetery, Des Plaines, Illinois.
(From The Emergency and Relief booklet by the American Red Cross, 1913).
Case number 283. (Irish). A girl, 17 years of age, travelling with her aunt who was lost, left without funds or friends, suffered seriously for many months from shock and exposure. She lost all her belongings, and received, immediately, clothing and $125 from other American sources of relief. She went to Chicago with some girl friends. This Committee interested a Chicago Society in making plans for the girl's training. She is now in a boarding school where she will remain for a year to be fitted for self-support. ($575).

Also shortly after her death Don Lynch of the THS wrote a very good biography on her and it was published in a Commutator.

Cheers Brian

Brian,
Thank you so much for your information! Can I ask, where do you do most of your "off the beaten path" research? I'd love to discover a new resource. Thanks so much.

Noelle

Noelle - Its nothing new just the results of gathering information for years and years from any source available. Its amazing what turns up though if you look.
Cheers Brian

I wonder if anyone knows if either of these woman had or still have, relatives in the area. I combed the local newspaper archives but can't seem to come up with anything.

Hallo Noelle
If you are looking for descendants of Ann Straube, here are some you can start with:
Fron the Ann Straube obituary Chicago Tribune Jan 31 1990:Survived by two daughters , Jackie Komay and Mary Kapolnek, 11 grandchildren, 26 great-grandchildren, and 2 great-great-grandchildren.
I do not know where you can find any of them, but perhaps try to look up in Chicago telephone directory for the surnames Komay and Kapolnek? Good luck.

Annie McGowan's father was born in the parish of Addergoole in Co Mayo in the Irish Republic. She was returning to USA with her aunt, Catherine, and a larger group of travellers from the same area. The family home is no longer standing; there is a new house on its site. There are relatives here in Mayo. I was talking to one last night. Sadly Annie never kept in touch with her Irish relatives. You might find this website link useful, its our local Titanic site. http://titanic.thewestofireland.com

Mick,
Thank you so much for the history on Annie McGowan's family. Your local Titanic website is so fascinating, too. I was looking for more info. on Annie's connection to Scranton, PA vs. her Irish heritage but nonetheless, it's very interesting.

Noelle

Back