Nora Murphy

I have been searching for many years for any information on Nora Murphy and would be grateful for any help that anyone can give me. I am Nora's Great Granddaughter, when she sailed on the Titanic she left a daughter in London who was 6 years old called Winifred Gladys, she was my Grandmother and was brought up by Nora's sister.

I am Pat Murphy, father of Jo (see below).No relation to Norah (? who knows?). According to "The Irish Aboard Titanic", by Senan Molony pub. 2000, Norah Murphy met tennis star Karl Behr during the rescue, then went to work for Karl's very wealthy father Hermann Behr in New York City. Jo erroneously refers to Michael as McElroy, corrected to McEvoy by relatives of my wife (Mary Ann [Kuhn] Murphy) including her aunt Annie McEvoy who financed the ticket for Michael and Norah. Annie was shunned by relatives back in Ireland for her part in the escapade. Was the full name of your grandmother Winifred Gladys Murphy, or was she Winifred Murphy then married someone with last name Gladys? Norah was obviously a survivor in every sense of the word; maybe she got married later. I would think some of the descendants of Hermann Behr could shed some light on Norah Murphy, this far removed from any possible scandal at the time and acceptance of people without being too judgmental. What was the full name of Norah's sister? I hope the many researchers preparing for the 100th anniversary of Titanic disaster can finally track the fascinating Norah Murphy.

Hi.
I am the son of Esther McEvoy who was the great niece of Michael and came from Waterford City. This story was told over the years and I recently began doing some research for my grandson as he was interested in the Titanic for school. I hope to able to add something useful in the near future.

My grandmother was Winifred Murphy-Day, she added day onto her name as she was bought up by her aunt, her mothers sister, along with her aunts own children...and her aunts married surname was Day. She never spoke about her mother, I only found out from my aunt, my fathers sister and they are no longer with us.

Back