Frederick Doel

Frederick Olive Doel, was my great great great grandad, there is a story that not many know, after this disaster he wanted to forget but he told our family what really happened. A man named David Matheson / Matthewson (he spelt his name different on the records) was a true hero. On the day of titanics sinking Frederick hurt his leg and back when the ship started to sink (unknown how exactly) and he probably would of perished or drowned at see if David (a hero in my eyes) never gave up his place for Frederick on the life boat, David sadly died but died a hero, his body was recovered by MacKay Bennett and was buried at Fairview Cemetary, Halifax Nova Scotia on 8 May 1912. (He was living with Frederick) anyone has any more information or anyone who is related to David please contact me?

Frederick was the brother of my husbands grandfather Norman. Have done quite alot of research on the DOEL line & heard the same story as you mentioned above. David is mentioned in the the obituary in the Southampton Echo for Frederick's father also named Frederick, who died of a broken heart of hearing the news of the sinking, it said that David gave up his place for Frederick. Happy to share any info I have.. Tara

A man named David Matheson / Matthewson (he spelt his name different on the records) was a true hero. On the day of titanics sinking Frederick hurt his leg and back when the ship started to sink (unknown how exactly) and he probably would of perished or drowned at see if David (a hero in my eyes) never gave up his place for Frederick on the life boat, David sadly died but died a hero, his body was recovered by MacKay Bennett and was buried at Fairview Cemetary, Halifax Nova Scotia on 8 May 1912. (He was living with Frederick) anyone has any more information or anyone who is related to David please contact me?
This must be the other man alluded to in the OP.

Matherson, like Doel, was living in Southampton at the time but they had different addresses. Doel was at 20, Richmond Street whereas Matherson gave his address as 20, Everton Street.

The story that Matherson (who eventually died in the sinking), gave-up his place for the injured Doel (who survived) is interesting and first appeared in a few Southampton newspapers following the disaster. Doel was a fireman while Matherson an Able Seaman but they might have known each other in Southampton from before the voyage. Richmond Street still exists but Everton Street appears to have been renamed and so it would be hard to say how close they were. But there certainly was an Everton Street in Southampton for decades, including a well known pub named Bank Inn. In any case, Matherson is mentioned as a boarder at Doel's Richmond Street house in those papers and so might have moved there just before the voyage.

Doel's half-brother Charles Olive, a greaser, was also on board the Titanic and died in the sinking. Interestingly, it was in Olive's obituary that the Doel-Matherson connection was first mentioned.

Back