George Bailey

There appears to be a George Bailey and George W Bailey.

George W Bailey spent his last night before joining Titanic at a house in Woolston, three doors away from a house I used to own. Hence my fascination, Brooke Road, now Poole Road. I cant find a trace on him myself and wonder if anybody else can!

Is this a mysterious person or somebody that didn't actually join the ship, any ideas ...

Hi Dianne,

I found this page mentioning a Mr. George W Bailey aboard Titanic and it gives his occupation as fireman/stoker/engine crew whereas the other Mr.George Bailey is listed as a saloon steward.
It certainly sounds like different people.

Just clicked on the link in the document and it leads to this;

Seems there was a George Bailey and a George Frank Bailey

Hope this helps.

George W Bailey

Last edited:
Thank you Kate, I am fairly certain that George W Bailey is the man I am currently researching! I was pretty concerned when George F Bailey came along! I've read the profile for George Frank Bailey but I am fairly sure he is another person! Just for interest, the remains of George W Bailey are interred at Fairlawn Cemetery in Canada .... getting more complicated by the minute! Thank you

Let me help confuse you even more...:p. Actually maybe this will help some from what I found.
1. George W Bailey and George Frank Bailey have the same identical bio's. Same B-Days and there was only one Bailey in the engineering crew. They are the same person IMO. I believe the confusion came from the crew list of the U.S. Senate inquiry. Link below. I think they mis-scribed his name.
2. They also seem to have mis-scribed the name of the ships Master at Arms Mr. Henry Joseph Bailey also giving an initial of W. (also in link below)
3. George Bailey, (no middle name) the steward is the one buried in Fairview.
4. There were four people with the last name Bailey on Titanic. 3 crewman and one 2nd class passenger. Only one survived..the ships master at arms.

Last edited:
Good morning all and thank you to the posters who have tried to help me :)

I have gone back to the crew list produced by Southampton Council. I am researching George W Bailey, who was born in Newport, Monmouthshire, Wales, he was a fireman and did not survive the titanic! I will probably get his birth certificate and see what that reveals!

You're very welcome Dianne.

The similar names makes this quite confusing.

I wish you all the best with your search for information on George W Bailey.

3. George Bailey, (no middle name) the steward is the one buried in Fairview.
1610367694341.png

One confusing aspect about the George Baileys is that the marker for body 161 in Fairview shows "G.F. Bailey", but is identified as being the remains of George Bailey (Saloon Steward).

View attachment 75151
One confusing aspect about the George Baileys is that the marker for body 161 in Fairview shows "G.F. Bailey", but is identified as being the remains of George Bailey (Saloon Steward).
Yes that is confusing. I think someone made the headstone name wrong. G,F Bailey's body was never recovered. Also who ever made the headstone misspelled his name. There was no BAILLEY listed on Titanic. I wonder how the DNA project is going there...if it still is.

Back