Violet's Barren White Star Wedding

I too had read Maxtone-Graham's edition of her memoir and between it and Molony's research there emerges the picture of a lonely, long-suffering figure of yet great hardihood that evokes much sympathy and admiration. Poor Violet—while she managed to collide with the Hawke in the Solent, an iceberg in the Atlantic and a mine in the Aegean, her ship never came into Happiness.

You might be right about John James' martial status :

I realize by the 1920's social customs had changed radically. But for those born before WW1, when a marriage became intolerable, a couple might split up and go their separate ways. But they did not get divorced. That could explain Violet's terse "disaster" and the sudden collapse of the marriage.

Very interesting story that completes Violet Jessop's Memoirs ("Titanic survivor") edited by Maxtone-Graham. I have written (in french) a biography of Captain HJ Haddock ("Le vrai capitaine Haddock-Herbert James") who was the master of the Olympic on which Violet sailed  many times. The following link will give you a short presentation of the book :  LA MAISON D'EDITION AVANT-PROPOS | ... -it.comSome pages of this book are devoted to Violet's story but the circumtances of her wedding were unknown to me until I discovered this blog. Louis Francken [email protected] 

Back