Ghost in McCluskie's book

That 'ghost' is more likely the consequence of a prolonged exposure or a hint of a double exposure. Quite a common problem back then. Incidentally, I noticed two such 'ghostly' individuals underneath that boat.

Cordially,
Michael H. Standart

Michael,

Yeah, I figured it was probably some sort of photography anomaly, but just thought I'd start a nice little ghost story
happy.gif
Wow, you saw 2? I'll have to take a double take at it when I get home from work!

Michael.

Check out the figure under the lifeboat who is closest to the lens. The more 'ghostly' figure may be an oddball reflection of the same chap.

Cordially,
Michael H. Standart

There are 'ghosts' all over the photo, proving that some of the living beings were moving faster than the camera's exposure setting. There are two separate 'ghosts' working on the lifeboat in the near foreground (the angle of their feet are different, so one is not a reflection of the other), and another couple of more-opaque 'ghosts' standing at the base of the after funnel.

I had to wait and view the photograph before I could post on this, because there are other examples were people have been crudely removed from photographs of Olympic/Titanic, leaving behind a ghostly image. A good example of this is on page 84 of McCaughan's "The Birth of the Titanic."

Parks

Thanks for that answer, Parks.

I always thought if I saw a ghost then I would belive in them. Luckily I don't have to belive in them.

Regards,

Nigel

Back