James Waugh

Good Morning,

I know this is probably a longshot but I was looking for any potential further information on James Waugh?

I was also wondering if any staff photos of him would be available on the Titanic or via Harland & Wolff?

I believe James is my ancestor on my Grandmother's side.

Many thanks,
Dan

Good Morning,

I know this is probably a longshot but I was looking for any potential further information on James Waugh?

I was also wondering if any staff photos of him would be available on the Titanic or via Harland & Wolff?

I believe James is my ancestor on my Grandmother's side.

Many thanks,
Dan
Waugh was not an employee of H&W, they won't have anything on him at all.

It was not then mandatory for UK merchant mariners to be photographed (and partially fingerprinted) for their discharge papers. In 1919 however, this did become mandatory. The "mugshots" we see in many surviving Titanic crewmen's biographies on ET are official ID photos taken during 1919 and 1920.

If Waugh was still at sea after 1919 then he would have needed to have his photograph taken for his discharge book.

Have a look at ancestry's archive of merchant navy discharge papers, they have a certain % (but contrary to what they claim, not all) of them available. There is an archive in Canada that also has a huge collection of them but I don't know how you access them.

Ancestry also have a good amount of crew lists for ships that docked in New York during the first half of the twentieth century. I found some of my merchant navy ancestors on these lists dozens of times, so you should stand a good chance of finding Waugh on them too.

Good luck !

Back