Aftermath of the titanic sinking

Aly Jones

Found this information on FB..it appears the germans reacted to the titanic disaster.

On this day, on Wednesday, 11 June 1913, 107 years ago, SS Imperator left on her maiden voyage with Commodore Hans Ruser in command and Hamburg-Amerika appointing four other captains for the journey to make sure that everything went smoothly. On the way, she stopped at Southampton and Cherbourg before proceeding across the Atlantic to New York, arriving on 19 June 1913. On board were 4,986, consisting of 859 first-class passengers, 647 second-class passengers, 648 third-class passengers, 1,495 in the steerage, and 1,332 crew. The ship returned to Europe from Hoboken, New Jersey, on 25 June 1913.
Photo from ships arrival to New York.

#SSImperator #RMSBerengaria #MaidenVoyage #HistoricShipsNetwork

They appointed 4 extra captains for the madian voyage. I don't recall British ship lines doing the same thing after the disaster.

She was carrying 4500/plus passengers on Madain voyage -titanic originally had over 1000 passengers booked for her median voyage.

She stop at Cherbourg and Southampton- did British and French passengers prefer German ships over the British ships after the great disaster? They feel more safe on German ships than British ships?

It looks like she was carrying 4 classes while titanic had 3.

And If I recall rightly, even before titanic disaster, germans had enough lifeboats for all on board.

Was the British lagging behind the germans in regards to safety and popularity?

They appointed 4 extra captains for the madian voyage. I don't recall British ship lines doing the same thing after the disaster.

No.
And I can not remember the details if my memory is right it had to do with the other officers who could not take over if Captain Ruser became ill or was not available for some time.

She stop at Cherbourg and Southampton- did British and French passengers prefer German ships over the British ships after the great disaster? They feel more safe on German ships than British ships?

Nothing to do with Titanic sinking. People still use British Liners.

It looks like she was carrying 4 classes while titanic had 3.

Not sure what the point is. There was 1st, 2nd, 3rd Class and Steerage. From memory German trains had the same classification.

And If I recall rightly, even before titanic disaster, germans had enough lifeboats for all on board.

No they don't. Germany had the same rules as the British had. There were some who had boats for all but the majority had less for half the people aboard. This was discussed in a meeting in Reichstag after the Titanic sinking and where they were discussing to increase the lifeboats aboard German ships.

Back