Hello,
I’ve come into possession of a painting that I believe to be of Emily Ryerson by French artist Etienne Drian.
I’m new to this forum, but am wondering if there’s any way to find out if there are descendants that may want this piece of artwork.
Any idea how to get it to the family or at least find out if they would want it?
Mike F

Attachments

• CA85AEE9-0AF6-4E9E-A6E2-1D679ECE7ADD.jpeg
    CA85AEE9-0AF6-4E9E-A6E2-1D679ECE7ADD.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 438
Emily Ryerson survived. The Ryerson family was active in the Ryerson Steel Co., still headquartered in Chicago. That may be a place to start. Please keep us posted.
Thanks Doug, I will start there.

I have also come across 2 other pieces related to the Ryerson/Sherfesee families. I silver tray that was a gift to Forsythe Sherfesee on the occasion of his marriage to Emily Ryerson from the Chinese American Bank of Commerce, signed by about 30 people. And a book from 1578 that was a gift to Madame Sherfesee.

There were several Ryerson siblings on Titanic - all survived. Their obituaries may list their descendants. The boy, John B. Ryerson, age 13 at the time of the sinking, died much later in Florida, and I believe had no children.

I know nothing about art, but offer a note on the portrait's French artist, Drian. Google turned up many images of his work. He seems to have specialized in portraits of elegant, well-to-do women. A few, at least to my eye, border on being a bit suggestive. The painting, supposedly of Mrs. Ryerson, seems to depict a formally dressed lady, perhaps in her 60s or older. Enlarge the image of the portrait and notice her attractive legs barely visible through the sheer gown. Q.E.D.

Back