Original Titanic Postcard?

Dale93

Hi everybody! I recently purchased a Titanic postcard off an elderly lady who claims she had it passed down her family and has never been sold. I think it is an original photo but I am not sure. I cannot find this postcard anywhere on the internet but the picture seems to be a pretty well known one of it leaving Belfast with tug boats at the front and back of the Titanic which is where the smoke is from at the front of the ship. It is an unused postcard with no makers names on the back or front. I presume it was made in 1912 but I am not sure if it is an original RPPC and if it is a rare card. Any help would be appreciated. Pictures attached

Thank you.

Attachments

• IMG_3366.jpg
    IMG_3366.jpg
    530.2 KB · Views: 446
  • IMG_3363.jpg
    IMG_3363.jpg
    771.3 KB · Views: 178
  • IMG_3364.jpg
    IMG_3364.jpg
    662.7 KB · Views: 175
  • IMG_3365.jpg
    IMG_3365.jpg
    1,002.1 KB · Views: 472
  • IMG_3367.jpg
    IMG_3367.jpg
    522.1 KB · Views: 194
Hi everybody! I recently purchased a Titanic postcard off an elderly lady who claims she had it passed down her family and has never been sold. I think it is an original photo but I am not sure. I cannot find this postcard anywhere on the internet but the picture seems to be a pretty well known one of it leaving Belfast with tug boats at the front and back of the Titanic which is where the smoke is from at the front of the ship. It is an unused postcard with no makers names on the back or front. I presume it was made in 1912 but I am not sure if it is an original RPPC and if it is a rare card. Any help would be appreciated. Pictures attached

Thank you.
Hi Dale,

It is most definitley original.
In the post sinking aftermath, post card manufacturers and sellers came out of the woodwork to sell Titanic images.
This is a nice representative.
From this vantage point it looks as if one corner has an issue.
I can't tell from your images if there are creases.
I would value this card from $90 - $110 USD.
Nice find!

Thanks, it has no creases just the corner you can see has cracked away but luckily not on the main picture.
did they make shiny surface reprints back then? all the shiny ones I have seen seem to be real photo and the dull card looking ones are mass printed and I can find pictures of most of them very easy on online. Mines got writing underneath so I am guessing its it cant be a real photo. I have shown it to a few titanic postcard collectors who said they have never seen 1 like that and I cant even find a postcard with the same picture even with a different back. I found this picture which is taken at the same time but there is no postcards

I'm no expert, but I do have quite a few cards.
I have never seen that one either so I am guessing, purely speculating, that it was manufactured by a small business or small producer.
I still think my estimate of value is close, but who knows?
Consult an expert, or put it up for auction on eBay with a higher than normal reserve and see what kind of offers you get.
Anyway, it is a nice card!
Great Find!

I agree with William on it being original after looking at some other postcards from that time. But I'm no expert at this so if you haven't already seen this site you might have a look. I posted it because they have values listed of similar cards. Cheers.

i wondered if anyone knows if this postcard is real. bought it at an estate sale years ago and just came across it again. i don't know much about authentication. thanks for any help.

Attachments

• IMG_5329[1].JPG
    IMG_5329[1].JPG
    746.2 KB · Views: 42
  • IMG_5330[1].JPG
    IMG_5330[1].JPG
    632.7 KB · Views: 45
1694946554304.jpg

I think it is a picture of the Olympic with the name Titanic superimposed. Look at the differences in the Promenade deck. The Titanic one was covered but the Olympic was not.

Back