I am trying to identify this Tartan?

Doing some Titanic Research.
I know who wore this Blanket on the night of the sinking.
I am trying to identify the name of the Tartan?
Does anyone know which clan Tartan that this is?
Greaser Frederick Scott Tartan1.jpg
IMG_4212 (1).jpg

Greaser Frederick Scott.
Wasn't dressed for the cold.
A kind lady in the same Lifeboat (#14 I believe) saw him shivering and threw this blanket over his shoulders.

Greaser Frederick Scott. Wasn't dressed for the cold.
A kind lady in the same Lifeboat (#14 I believe) saw him shivering and threw this blanket over his shoulders.
I had actually posted a question asking you the identity of the person who wore that blanket but then noticed the revelation upon clicking on the image and deleted my post.

Actually, Scott was one of those pulled on board Lifeboat #4, which was launched just after 01:50am. As you know, there were many rich First Class ladies on board and one of them might have given him that tartan blanket. Is there any clue of the identity of the woman who did so?

Last edited:
I had actually posted a question asking you the identity of the person who wore that blanket but then noticed the revelation upon clicking on the image and deleted my post.

Actually, Scott was one of those pulled on board Lifeboat #4, which was launched just after 01:50am. As you know, there were many rich First Class ladies on board and one of them might have given him that tartan blanket. Is there any clue of the identity of the woman who did so?
I wish I knew!

Doing some Titanic Research.
I know who wore this Blanket on the night of the sinking.
I am trying to identify the name of the Tartan?
Does anyone know which clan Tartan that this is?View attachment 113597View attachment 113598
It might have not been registered to a clan. From my understanding WSL had blankets (also known as steamer rugs) made for their ships that often mimicked tartan patterns but not exact copies of a clans tartan. First class usually had the more fancy patterns. And they usually had the WSL logo embroidered into them. Possible that blanket was one of those from the ship. But I've read the one shown in the picture of Charlotte Collyer was a Stewart clan pattern.
6544c1bef19f18e9985e7e339f50b59d_large.jpg

Screen-Shot-2023-11-16-at-1.11.58-PM.jpg

Thanks Dave. Since The Spirit of the Titanic Halifax Tartan was a tribute to those who perished during the tragedy, might they have designed it to be as close as possible to the actual unregistered tartan pattern on the blankets issued to the Titanic's First Class passengers like Steven says above? I noticed that the memorial tartan pattern in your link is very similar but not the same as the one given to Greaser Scott on board Lifeboat #4.

It might have not been registered to a clan. From my understanding WSL had blankets (also known as steamer rugs) made for their ships that often mimicked tartan patterns but not exact copies of a clans tartan. First class usually had the more fancy patterns. And they usually had the WSL logo embroidered into them. Possible that blanket was one of those from the ship. But I've read the one shown in the picture of Charlotte Collyer was a Stewart clan pattern.
View attachment 113617
View attachment 113618

The Colliyer's are seated with a Weathered Black Watch tartan
I offer this white Star Line tartan and the Stewart Tartan my eBay and ETSY shops.
They are beautiful hand made replicas and one of my most popular items.
Whitestarsupplycollc

The Colliyer's are seated with a Weathered Black Watch tartan
I offer this white Star Line tartan and the Stewart Tartan my eBay and ETSY shops.
They are beautiful hand made replicas and one of my most popular items.
Whitestarsupplycollc
I stand corrected. The article I read must have had it wrong. Seems each regiment had there own "Black Watch" pattern. I looked it up as don't really know much about this. My only experience with tartans was once on trip to Edinburgh I stopped in a shop that made cloth in tartan patterns. The old belt driven machinery and looms were fascinating to me. It was right outside of the castle there. I bought enough material for my sister to make a table cloth. She married into the clan Anderson. I looked at Dave's website he posted and it was an exact match. Anyway interesting stuff. Cheers.

I stand corrected. The article I read must have had it wrong. Seems each regiment had there own "Black Watch" pattern. I looked it up as don't really know much about this. My only experience with tartans was once on trip to Edinburgh I stopped in a shop that made cloth in tartan patterns. The old belt driven machinery and looms were fascinating to me. It was right outside of the castle there. I bought enough material for my sister to make a table cloth. She married into the clan Anderson. I looked at Dave's website he posted and it was an exact match. Anyway interesting stuff. Cheers.
Cheers Mate!

Back