Titanic Post Card

I just saw an identical postcard to this one at a stamp dealer (unused). I was wondering if I should buy it and would like to know how much it is worth.
80031.jpg

It seems that there is also another similar postcard by the same publisher in black and white which describes the sinking and also a similar one on the Olympic.

hello
by any chance does anyone know the rarity of an ORIGINAL color tuck postcard that says "TSS Titanic" on the bottom left hand corner. i have been given the opportunity to purchase one, but first wanted to research it.
any info would help greatly, thanks!
cheers

If this is one that has the disaster statistics/ info on the back, then I would say it's "scarce" but not impossible to find. They turn up on eBay from time to time ( I could swear I saw one the other day but I cant find it now). I think they generally go for about $50-$100 or so.

Same with the TUCKS postcard. There exist a pre and post sinking version of this beautiful vertical format postcard.

I had always wanted a pre-sinking Tucks TITANIC to display alongside my pre-TITANIC Olympic Tuck's card.

Somehow over the years it has always eluded me.
I have much to trade if someone wants to sacrafice a Tuck's pre-sinking TITANIC card?

Michael A. Cundiff
USA

thanks for your responses. BTW- jeremy- the color postcard you had mentioned can also be viewed in the THS online museum. it was sent by mrs. goldsmith (frank goldsmith's mother) to her sister on april 11 at queenstown.
i wonder if your postcard was sold onboard?

Thanks Trevor,

If the postcard was sold aboard, I would be rich by now! LOL

The same postcard (published by National Series) was probably sold all over England in 1911-12 as well as on board the ship (very unlikely my card came from there, as all those on board will be still at the bottom of the Atlantic) - thats the provenance of my card!

BTW, along with Tucks', National Series cards seem to be of better quality and are also popular with collectors. (There is also an National Series black and white post-sinking card of the Titanic, which is slightly more common)

And Trevor, did you buy the Tucks' Titanic card? You should - its quite highly sought after!

hi jeremy,
yes i did end up purchasing the postcard. I retrieved it from a local antique store for $30.00. the card was posted January 21? 1912, so i know that it is genuine. did you end up purchasing yours. i seem to remember the postcard you had posted above on ebay last july. i think it ended at $140.00.
thanks
but be careful, im pretty sure they make reproductions of it.

140!!!

I got mine for about S$95 (after bargaining!) which is about US$58 - quite a reasonable price I think. Its genuine, because I also have another Olympic card of the same series (actually its the same ship, only the name had changed) bought from Ebay a couple of months back and could compare with that card.

Your Tucks Titanic which was posted in Jan 1912 (remember, pre-sinking!) at US$30, its really a bargain!
smile.gif

hi
thats great, congratulations! i have been searching for one for some time , and have only seen 1 come up on ebay in the past year and a half! many passengers mailed the same postcard (identical to yours) from titanic, which makes it even more prized. Any titanic pre-sinking card is considered rare, but the ones in color are quite highly valued. :)

ERIC,
you ought to try ebay. often the silk ones are hidden, and sell for dirt cheap. below are some examples:

[SNIP]

i often type in the keywords "embroidered postcard" or "silk ship postcard"

Hi Trevor
happy.gif

Thanks! My sig line "Mauretania photographs&postcards; buy/[email protected] eBayID:telexcollectibles" ought to tell you something. My last eBay "rip" was an unpublished candid of Olympic being towed into Jarrow on October 13th, 1935 - for $9 as an "unknown ship"
happy.gif
Also recently found 2 unpublished candids of Mauretania being waved off the Tyne on October 22nd, 1907 heading for Liverpool and Cunard - $20 for the pair. My best Stevengraph was from eBay as well - $30 for the second variety (steaming to the right) with the message and date described. I am on eBay right now at 3 AM Christmas Eve...

Happy Holidays & best wishes for the New Year!!
Eric

PS - if you look at my Mauretania thread titled "Rare Photograph" you will see a LOT of eBay rips
happy.gif

Back