Most sought after Titanic postcard

I recently came across a postcard in the private family collection of one of the crewmen who perished in the sinking. It was mailed from Belfast, before the Titanic was brought down to Southampton, and shows a painting of the ship passing a familiar New York landmark and is captioned 'Titanic Passing the Statue of Liberty'. The crewman noted on the back that it was rather a 'faked' image as the ship had not yet been to NY. I've asked a few of the prominent postcard image collectors if they'd ever seen anything similar, and they responded that they'd never even heard about the like.

Unfortunately I can't, Tarn. The crewman did note that he thought it rather a good likeness, evidently not caring that - in spite of the captioning labelling it the Titanic - lack of an 'A' deck screen makes it more like an image of the Olympic. Obviously he either wasn't aware of this tell-tale difference or didn't really care!

As an auctioneer I can give you a few realisations for rare Titanic postcards. The dates in brackets are when they were sold.

2nd. class breakfast menu card mailed by 2nd.class saloon steward Jacob Gibbons from Queenstown...£8,912 (13/3/02)

Real photo card of Titanic anchor being towed on a cart pulled by about 20 horses, at Cradley Heath, Staffs....£402.50 (13/3/02)

1910 advert card for Olympic and Titanic, depicting Olympic, artist-drawn by Black, with the inscription "The Olyympic sister vessel Titanic will be launched in the near future"...£506 (8/11/00)

Real photo card at Belfast by Hurst & Co...£172.50 (8/11/00)

Real photo leaving Southampton by Hopkins of Southsea...£184 (8/3/00)

Woven silk of Titanic...£1,063 (10/11/99)

In memoriam photo montage by Bragg of Falmouth...£184 (14/7/99)

Woven silk of Olympic...£109 (15/7/99)

The figures are inclusive of the buyers' premium.

Our July 10th sale includes a large number of real photo cards of the Titanic lifeboats approaching the Carpathia, taken by Barker. They are superb!

Regards Colin

Hello:

A fellow collector of mine from the mid-west owns, without a doubt one of the rarest and unique postcards (real-photo) of TITANIC...she has been launched and is en-route to the fitting out basin. A few bystanders can be seen in the foreground gawking at the immense hull. Fortunately I was gifted with a color copy of the card for my personal satisfaction...
...truly one-of-a kind.

Off to work,

Michael A. Cundiff
U.S.A.

BTW, in reference to Ms. Sheil's post...

I own a color rendering of LUSITANIA passing "Lady Liberty". It entails a wonderful message..."Frank, I wish you could be here with me, three times around this ship is one-mile". Cancelled at Queenstown on the return half of her maiden voyage.

As with the "Titanic passing the Statue of Liberty". It is obvious these cards were printed in advanced anticipation of there ultimate arrival/departure from New York...
...unfortunately this was no to be the case with TITANIC.

Michael A. Cundiff
U.S.A.

Which Titanic postcards are rarer than others? I have a couple presinking and memorial cards but I am talking about the non mass produced ones. More like smaller businesses that made them rather than larger companies.

What other Titanic items or souvenirs were made presinking besides postcards. If you own any, what are they and how did you get it?

I recently came across a postcard in the private family collection of one of the crewmen who perished in the sinking. It was mailed from Belfast, before the Titanic was brought down to Southampton, and shows a painting of the ship passing a familiar New York landmark and is captioned 'Titanic Passing the Statue of Liberty'. The crewman noted on the back that it was rather a 'faked' image as the ship had not yet been to NY. I've asked a few of the prominent postcard image collectors if they'd ever seen anything similar, and they responded that they'd never even heard about the like.
Perhaps this is it?

Attachments

• Screenshot 2023-09-01 11.08.31 AM.jpg
    Screenshot 2023-09-01 11.08.31 AM.jpg
    88.3 KB · Views: 16
To me personally, the most interesting Titanic related postcard is the one discussed in the following old thread: Thoughts Appreciated on this Postcard

It appears that it was posted by Titanic survivor Alice "Adelaide" Louch to a Mrs Sarah. J. Donaldson, a 67 year-old widow living in Ionia, Michigan, at the time. Mrs Adelaide Louch, a Second Class passenger, lost her husband Charles Louch in the disaster but within a week of arriving in New York, was able to board another WSL ship the Celtic to return to England. She mailed this postcard just before she boarded ship for her return. I tried extensive research to find out the how the two women knew each other, but was only partially successful. Also, the "Miss Lloyd" mentioned in the card as a companion to Mrs Louch on that voyage was not on the list of passengers nor was she a crew member on the Celtic.

While it is easy to dismiss the card as yet another hoax with misinformation, my research turned up several interesting facts that strongly suggested that it was genuine. For starters, there really was a Sarah J Donaldson living in Ionia at the time, and like Mrs Louch, had strong connections with the Church. As mentioned before, Adelaide Louch returned to England on board the Celtic in late April 1912 to start what was to be a quiet and thereafter uneventful life. But in 1916, 4 years after the Titanic disaster, Adelaide's son Clarence Louch, engaged to another Briton Frances Gould (who also happened to be a distant cousin), went out of his way to a very remote town called Lewiston in Montana to get local Pastor Charles Donaldson officiate the wedding before the couple moved to and settled in California. My research suggested but did not prove that Sarah J Donaldson's former husband (they divorced before he died) who had British roots was related to a Donaldson family of Minnesota of which Pastor Charles Donaldson was a descendant.

Charles Donaldson was a very influential Freemason at the time and it is possible (although I have found no evidence of this as yet) that he helped the grieving and penniless Adelaide Louch obtain that passage on the Celtic to return to Englald only a week after the Carpathia had landed in New York. Her son Clarence Louch's efforts to get Pastor Donaldson to officiate his wedding might have been a gesture of gratitude.

Last edited:
Back