A cdeck question

I was wondering is there any photographs of the first-class Purser office and the Enquiry office on C-DECK.Does anyone know what it looks like? The Purser's office and Enquiry office was located just beside the Grand staircase.

Daniel,
actually, that picture is of the *second class* purser's office on Olympic, which would give a similar representation of the purser's office in first class and on Titanic.
One could make some sort of a guess as to what the office face would have looked like, based on woodwork on the grand staircase. Also, I would think there'd be an illuminated sign suspended from the ceiling indicating the purser's office. Detailed general arrangement plans might help, and I do know there's a detailed GA Olympic plan from the 1920s one could get a basic idea from. One thing, however, those plans are after two extensive refits. The purser's / inquiry office arrangement might or might not have been changed, and there's no telling if Titanic's and Olympic's were ever originally identical anyway.
I've seen good, detailed GA plans of Titanic, but only for first class and exteriors. Bummer.

Dan C.

Hello Nigel:

You asked whether any photos exist of the first-class Enquiry Office on "C" Deck. The answer is yes. There is only one that I've seen of it, though, and that is in Ken Marschall's collection. It was taken in the 1920's looking almost directly at the Enquiry Office Window.

The architrave from the office was sold at the Olympic auction in 1991. It was decorated in the same style as the staircase (acanthus leaves and berries) and looked nothing like the one in second class.

Eric Sauder

Back