Amy Jacobsohn Ring on Antiques Roadshow

Hello everyone. I’m new. Pleased to meet you all. This is a great site!

To all UK followers, I have just watched the recent episode of Antiques Roadshow where there was a story of a lady who owned a beautiful ring which she wore on Titanic. She survived but I can’t find out who she is by looking at the passenger list. She was an 18 year old second class passenger, travelling with her husband, mother and sister. Her husband perished. Does anyone have any idea who she could be?

Welcome aboard. I missed that episode, but saw it just now on BBC iplayer. Not sure who the survivor was. Perhaps another member here might know. Here are photos of the ring.

ring01.png

ring01a.png

ring01b.png

ring01c.png

Certainly is. I think I've found the survivor. Mrs. Amy Jacobsohn. She got married in 1910. They had a child who died at birth. They sailed on the Titanic in 2nd class with her mother and sister. Her husband perished, and Amy, her sister and mother survived. She was 24 on the Titanic and was probably 18 or 19 when she received the engagement ring. Years later she moved to Nairobi, Africa. I think her relative had a regional Nairobi accent. Here is Amy's biography.

Amy Frances Christy Jacobsohn : Titanic Survivor

I thought so as well, but I think the BBC had just messed up when they were editing the footage and audio together to save time.

Q - And how old was she at the time? (camera cuts away)
A - She was very young. She was about 18.
Q - 18 years old?
A - 18 or 19.

Without that camera cut it probably was like this.

Q - And how old was she at the time?
A - Do you mean the time she was on the Titanic or the time she received the ring?
Q - The time she was on the ship?
A - Let me think for a minute. Is the camera still rolling (nervous giggle).
Q - It's alright, we can edit this later.
A - Well, let me think. I know when she received the ring she was (pause for thought). She was very young. She was about 18.
Q - 18 years old?
A - 18 or 19.

The BBC had to trim down everyone's lines and they would edit the sound by splicing the camera to different people so that they can tighten the audio and make the segment shorter. My guess is, the BBC just messed up when they were trying to edit the clip and save time, or the presenter had asked the question "How old was she when she received this ring?" and her question was edited out to save time, so that the relative appeared to give an answer to a different question. News organisations have a habit of doing this practice as a number of people in the audience, including guests, have complained about their deceptive editing tricks. This little segment was innocent, but when they do this with political interviews it can get very heated. This is why a number of guests will secretly record the interview so that the unedited raw version can be published in case they are accused of saying something they did not say or responding to a question that was not asked (or edited cleverly in the cutting room floor afterwards).

Tricks of the trade.

Back