Any Regrets Relating to Titanic

Aly Jones

Iv'e got one regret and i kick my self in the buttocks.
Around 7 years ago my newspaper the Herald Sun advertised the boat show + a special the Titanic exabition at the exabition centre in the city.
Titanic Exabition was big and went for i think two weeks, i never went cause i was at that time very shy and nervous person so i chicken out of going. Now i really regret it and i been waiting for the Titanic exabition to come back to Melbourne and it never did.
I miss the biggest oppertunity to see real Titanic related things. Thats my regret.

Regrads

Alyson, if it was the exhibition I saw in 1998, it was quite good, considering that it had nothing from the wreck. It rode on the coat tails of Cameron's flick. I was rather broke at the time, but I made sure I got to it. What's the odd meal?

I think the thing I liked best was the number off lifeboat 8. This had been nicked by Seaman Jones, who inlaid it into a piece of wood and gave it to the Countess of Rothes. Another memorable thing was Captain Smith's dress sword.

They had great quantities of crockery and glassware, as used on Titanic. Much of this was for sale at fairly reasonable prices compared to what you'd pay today.

Hop up to Ballarat and see the Titanic monument in the main street. If you like travelling, there's another in Broken Hill.

Dave you're teasing me LOL.
I think it was 2001-2002 exhibition,i kept the newspaper but i have to hunt for it in my messy room of mine.
I do like travelling only if someone else is driving.
You had brains i didn't LOL, sounds like i must of mist a great deal.
OH boy know i'm going to kick my self in the head and buttocks LOL.
I'll keep that in mind Ballarat and Broken Hill.

Regards

Hi Dave and Alyson,

I didn't know there is a monument to Titanic in Australia. I know there was Australian Passengers aboard but who where they? I'm all curious now.

Alyson, the exhibition was quite likely still around in 2001. It stayed quite a long time in each state.

The Aussies on Titanic were---

Arthur Gordon McCrae (Second class passenger)
Charles Edward Dahl (Originally Karl Edwart Dahl. Third class passenger).
Alfred Nichols (Boatswain)
Donald Campbell (Purser's clerk)
Leonard White (Steward)
Evelyn Marsden (Stewardess)

Dahl and Marsden survived. Dahl returned to to Australia but later went back to his native Norway, where he is buried. Marsden returned to Australia and, after spending time in South Australia, settled in New South Wales. She is buried in Waverley Cemetery, Sydney.

Of those who died, only McCrae was recovered. He has the largest monument in the cemetery in Halifax, a large Celtic cross.

Quite a lot is known about Marsden, McCrae and Dahl, but the others are largely mystery men.

quote:

but the others are largely mystery men.
That's too bad.
sad.gif
Thanks for the Info, Dave
happy.gif

Alyson, the exhibition was quite likely still around in 2001. It stayed quite a long time in each state.

The Aussies on Titanic were---

Arthur Gordon McCrae (Second class passenger)
Charles Edward Dahl (Originally Karl Edwart Dahl. Third class passenger).
Alfred Nichols (Boatswain)
Donald Campbell (Purser's clerk)
Leonard White (Steward)
Evelyn Marsden (Stewardess)

Dahl and Marsden survived. Dahl returned to to Australia but later went back to his native Norway, where he is buried. Marsden returned to Australia and, after spending time in South Australia, settled in New South Wales. She is buried in Waverley Cemetery, Sydney.

Of those who died, only McCrae was recovered. He has the largest monument in the cemetery in Halifax, a large Celtic cross.

Quite a lot is known about Marsden, McCrae and Dahl, but the others are largely mystery men.

Here’s an amazing story of how it’s a small world,

My family moved to San Diego, Ca in 1968 from Fargo, ND. My father was a San Diego police officer. In 1980 my father was investigating a crime in La Jolla (a very wealthy part of San Diego) of a woman that was having a wall built in front of her home. While in the shower the person building the wall came into her house and tried to rape her. She was almost killed when she was beaten with a pipe. The person fled to Mexico and was never caught. My father met this woman in the hospital.

Well apparently my father fell in love with her and he left our family and ran off and married her. And when I say “ran off and married her” he literally ran off, I mean I came home from school and his clothes were gone, his tools were gone, etc. To say the least my mother, my sister and myself were all devastated.

Years later, my sister and I met my stepmother. Her name is Sheila Stubbings. She is a very nice women. I love her very much. She showed us a case that had titanic objects in it. She had a relative on the titanic that perished. His name was Mr Harry Robert Stubbings (2nd class cook) his body was never recovered.

Here’s the small world connection,

My fathers name is James N Dahl, we are Norwegian. As it turns out we also have a relative on board the titanic, his name was Mr Charles Edward Dahl, he was a 3rd class passenger and he survived (life boat 15). He was traveling to Figal, North Dakota ( Figal is now Fargo, pop in 1912 was 8).

Its amazing to think both of are family’s had relatives on board and 90 some odd years later they would meet in a way that was a show stopper for my mother and sister and myself. Apparently she is a very wealthy women making a fortune in some of the highest priced real estate in California. My father quit his job (he hated being a police officer) and they did a lot of moving around and traveling the world.

I saw the titanic exhibit in Las Vegas and was proud to see the names on the wall of passengers and crew.

Jeff Dahl

Temple, Georgia.

Back