Arthur Rostron : Home from the Sea

This is one for an interlibrary loan. The book is pretty rare and I think it's not in the Library of Congress. It is in the National Library of Australia and maybe in some maritime museums.

I warn you that it's a curious book. Hardly a person in it is mentioned by name. Rostron just gives ranks. It's a good read but does not add a lot to the Titanic story and has some odd errors. I'll bet you didn't know that Californian had no radio.

Trevor,

This book is indeed, pretty hard to obtain. I would seriously advise you to check another website that deals mainly with secondhand books. One such company on the Internet does exist and only trades for the unknown title's. Check and subscribe with Justbooks.co.uk. At present I have a large number of headings already listed with this company and they will take time and patience to add to my library.

Good Luck!

All my best.

Andrew W.

I have seen "Home from the Sea" on E-bay 3 times in the last 2 years. I obtained a copy on Ebay-but
it took me a while. I had been looking for 8 years.Also if you go to www.abebooks.com there
is a copy up for sale, but the seller wants
about $400.00 for it.

Hello Shelley et al:

It has been a long time since me met up at a TI Connvention.

As for Home from the Sea, By Rostron, If people are also looking for a re-print I haven't found one, But the book does exsist on CD-ROM as a book on tape.

The information is as follows:

RMS Titanic April 15, 1912: The Captain's log Personal accounts of the rescue, 1998 KB Music Companies, Brentwood, TN 37027 No: KRB6032-2 and sold for around $12.99 when it was available back in 1998

Thanks for the info Steven- am holding out for the next library sale, hoping their copy will go on the sale pile. Hope to see you soon at another bunfight!

Hey Steve,

Nice to see you here. You wroteAs for Home from the Sea, By Rostron, If people are also looking for a re-print I haven't found one, But the book does exsist on CD-ROM as a book on tape.

The information is as follows:

RMS Titanic April 15, 1912: The Captain's log Personal accounts of the rescue, 1998 KB Music Companies, Brentwood, TN 37027 No: KRB6032-2 and sold for around $12.99 when it was available back in 1998

Is this the entire book on CD-ROM or just the
chapter dedicated to Titanic and the rescue?

Rosanne MacIntyre

Shelly:

When is the next book sale at the Fall River Maritime Museum, LOL A I am still trying to read the 250+ books I bought at the last one over seven years ago.

Library books sales are an excellent place to pick up books. I bought an original Shan Bullock "A Titanic Hero" at one for $2.50 and also obtained a copy of Howard Chapin's Bibilothia Titania at another for about the same amount.

The only problem is you need to be willing to pick through thousands of boxes of books.

When I have some spart time I need to get down to Fall River again.

Rose:

Let me find the CD-Rom were is is hidden away, in the collective mess, If I remember correctly it is an abrided version with about 70 minutes on it. The publisher's data was pulled from my Booklist Database.

Steve- will keep you posted. I did just get a nice set of figurines at 20 bucks each there in Fall River-Ismay with his bowler in hand, Smith, and Tommy Andrews sitting in a chair. All resin and very nice details. Also got a 10 inch Titanic in a stormy sea for 5$ on sale- also resin. The Maritime Bookstore at Mystic Seaport has great sales and a perpetual sale table. I know 3 backalley used bookstores around these parts. Shall we shop???

Yes Dave, and that's where I have gotten my copy. It's Titanic Hero: the autobiography of captain Rostron Of the Carpathia.
I'm quite enjoying the book-he writes like Lightoller did, and he has several amusing stories to tell. There aren't really any specific dates mentioned, but as he writes of his adventures and occasional frustration, he's relateable and I find several examples to admire him more. He wrote that he liked the Americans, and a particularly short and poignant story about a man who never spoke, head down, and a nurse was his only friend/guide. The man would play piano "divinely" but other than that, conversing with him was impossible. It sounded to me like post traumatic stress disorder, as this guy had been in Gallipoli.
In the pictures section, he labels Lowe as Lightoller in boat 14 and yes he does mention the Californian had no wireless... Still a good read!

Back