Asuncion Durán i Moné

No one in Titanicdom has found her date of death so far as I know. She stayed in Havana, Cuba and married--is said to be buried in Cementerio Colon but without a married name can't be located. A cousin of mine in Havana recently found the address of her daughter and has been to her home but unfortunately the daughter is in Spain for an extended period. I should know much more about her by year's end.

Phillip Gowan

I realise that both this post and its comment thread are 23 years old but, for what is worth, I thought I should mention: in countries of Spanish heritage - including obviously Spain - women don't take their husbands' name upon marriage so there is not such concepts as maiden or married names. The very notion is highly offensive.

Women (thankfully, if I may add) keep their family name from birth until they die, and this has been the custom since ancient times when historical records began. It's not a new thing by any means.

It's true that in early 20th century it was custom for female widows - particularly in polite and high society - to add the surname of their husband preceded by a "de" on some formal ocassions, and speacially if he was a prominent figure. For example, if Cristina Perez married Luis Ramos, they'd both keep their own names but upon Luis' death Cristina would start writing her surname as Perez de Ramos on invitations and social stuff like that. Never on official, legal documents!

As a curiosity, I should add that people in Spanish speaking countries carry both the surname of their father and their mother (traditionally the father used to go first, but these days it varies) so everybody has 2 legal surnames in all official documents.

This is why one should assume that the 1st name is the forename (sometimes composed of 2 names, as in Juan+Miguel eg), the 2nd one it's the father' surname, and the 3rd one it's the mother's. Thus in this particular case, Asuncion would be her forename, Duran her father' surname and Mone her mother's.

Never middle names as these don't exist; with already 2 surnames for telling people apart, there's no need for them!

All this long write-up just to say: unless Asuncion emigrated to an English speaking country, married there and was subsequently pressured into taking her husband's name (a very remote scenario in the case of any proud Spanish born woman!) this lady would most certainly have been buried with the same surname she had at birth, wherever it happened to be.

Last edited:

Mrs Florentina Duran y More Padron Manent​

BIRTHOct 1882
San Adrian, Provincia de Navarra, Navarra, Spain
DEATH1 Oct 1959 (aged 76–77)
Havana, Municipio de La Habana Vieja, La Habana, Cuba
BURIAL
Cementerio de Cristóbal Colón
Havana, Municipio de La Habana Vieja, La Habana, CubaPLOTS.O, cuadro 22, campo común, calle I, tumba 44342

I thought I should mention: in countries of Spanish heritage - including obviously Spain - women don't take their husbands' name upon marriage so there is not such concepts as maiden or married names. The very notion is highly offensive.
Can that be so generalized? in the 1990s I had a Peruvian young woman patient who married a Spanish man during that time. She definitely changed her surname to that of her husband because we received an official request to change it on the NHS Records. I particularly remember this case because the girl's maiden name had a nice ring to it.

I should add that people in Spanish speaking countries carry both the surname of their father and their mother (traditionally the father used to go first, but these days it varies) so everybody has 2 legal surnames in all official documents.
But won't that cause problems for the children? If both the mother and father had "traditional" double-barrelled surnames and their kids carried on from both parents, then wouldn't they end up with 4 surnames each?

Can that be so generalized? in the 1990s I had a Peruvian young woman patient who married a Spanish man during that time. She definitely changed her surname to that of her husband because we received an official request to change it on the NHS Records. I particularly remember this case because the girl's maiden name had a nice ring to it.

But won't that cause problems for the children? If both the mother and father had "traditional" double-barrelled surnames and their kids carried on from both parents, then wouldn't they end up with 4 surnames each?
No, it doesn't cause any problems at all, as the centuries old custom demonstrates. It's actually a very convenient way to tell people apart. Imagine if Peter Smith was called Peter Smith Johnson instead; there would be no need for middle names as the probability of having 2 equally named individuals would be much lower.

And children only inherit one surname from each parent so they also end up with just two surnames, not four. The parents choose in which order nowadays, although the tradition was always for the father's to be the first so this is still the most common practice.

Also, I wouldn't call these double barrelled names as such since they don't become a compound. They remain 2 separate surnames instead.

I have attached a couple of national identity cards samples from both Spain and Peru so you can see how it is, but the rest of Spanish speaking countries follow the same naming custom: _Primer Apellido_ (First Surname) and _Segundo Apellido_ (Second Surname). Notice how there is no middle name field, since these don't exist.

Although proper double barrelled names also exist, they are quite rare and one needs to apply to have this exceptionality. In practice, it's usually only descendants of illustrious people wanting to preserve that surname who go to the trouble of doing this.

I've also known people to have (unoficially) added an hyphen to their surnames when living or working in English speaking countries in order to avoid being addressed by their 2nd surname, in the assumption that the 1st one was their middle name. But again that was done outside any legal documents.

Attachments

• DNI_peruano_-_frente_(Modelo_2020).jpg
    DNI_peruano_-_frente_(Modelo_2020).jpg
    71.4 KB · Views: 14
  • como-saber-dni-de-una-persona.jpg
    como-saber-dni-de-una-persona.jpg
    62.3 KB · Views: 28
Last edited:
It really is. Taking the name of the husband is not even contemplated under the law in any Spanish speaking country. It's never been done in any point in history, so it's completely outside the realm of possibility.

I don't know the situation of your Peruvian patient but I really doubt the name change had anything to do with her being married to a Spanish husband as in none of these 2 countries that's even a notion, let alone a legal possibility!

I observed that some latinoamerican women immigrants in the US do often change their surname to that of their husband. I imagine that's due to mix of need for social acceptance + practical reasons, in a country where that's expected from a woman.

Back in the UK however, none of the Spanish women married to Britismanen I ever met changed their surname to theirs. I admittely know less latin american women in that situation, but I'd be surprised if they do.

Just pure anecdotal evidence but, since you are in the UK, do you remember Nick Clegg' wife, so often in the press when he was Deputy Prime Minister? In every interview she used to ask to be addressed by her name, Miriam González Durántez (notice the 2 surnames). Yet the media insisted on referring to her as Miriam Clegg :) Must have been ennerving for her; yet she had to thread carefully out of fear of being perceived as a radical feminist or something!

Back