Authors Who Have Gone to Titanic

Bob Godfrey made a comment on another thread that got me to a'thinkin. he mentioned that Charles Pellegrino was one of the few authors who has actually visited Titanic. the amateur reporter in me "asked the next question" - just how many Titanic authors have been to the wreck, and who are they?

from my recollection, the following all belong to this very exclusive club (they are listed in the order of earliest to most recent dives):

Dr. Bob Ballard
Charles Pellegrino
John Eaton
Charles Haas
James Cameron
Don Lynch
Ken Marschall

I'm not positive that both Eaton and Haas made the dive, though I know that at least one of them did. just can't remember for sure. does anyone else know if they both made it down there?

did I leave anyone off the list?

all the best, Michael (TheManInBlack) T

Hi Michael,

Joseph McInnis has visited the wreck as well. Their is one other author whose name I can't think of right now that has also gone down. I think her last name is Carter, but I'm not positive.

Best regards,

Jason
happy.gif

Jason, you are right, of course! Jennifer Carter wrote of her experience in diving to the wreck. I had forgotten about her book.

I knew that MacInnis had written the companion book to the first IMAX Titanic film, but I did not know he personally got to visit the wreck. thanks for that one.

Michael, thanks for the confirmation on Eaton & Haas. I thought I remembered they both ended up going down there.

Michael,

That's it, thank you! I was trying to think of her first name for the last hour and a half. It was driving me crazy!
crazy.gif

You're welcome re: MacInnis. He was with the French team in 1987, and then he went back in 1991 for the first IMAX film.

Best regards,

Jason
happy.gif

Michael,

To make your job more complicated, you could probably add people to your list who a) have advised authors of books and/or b) were on the support ship during the expedition to analyse wreck video and artefacts in realtime but didn't actually dive to the wreck. Bill Sauder's name comes immediately to my mind, but I am sure there are others, as well.

Parks

Robin Gardner thinks he HAS been down to the Titanic. What actually happened is that he paid big bucks to a group of con artists who took him down to the wreck of the Britannic, having changed the name plates the night before. Unless he reads this he's still none the wiser.

Sorry, Michael, that would be telling. You'll have to wait for publication of Gardiner's next best-seller: 'Titanic - the ship that might have sunk after all but not where they said it did'

I was wondering how they managed to convince Gardiner the Mediterranean was the Atlantic Ocean! lol. I'll bet Gardiner just thought that White Star switched the two bodies of water in the middle of the night while no-one was looking!

well played Bob, you had me going for a minute there!

And my very best to you too, Michael. The real irony, of course, is that Gardiner's efforts found a market on the strength of a story just as silly as mine!

Back