Marco C. Ruo

Marco Carlo Ruo
Good evening, I recently read an article from 1911 that talks about the ventilation on the titanic, we talk about portholes with automatic ventilation. Can anyone tell me more? In the porthole in the photo there are two "valves" above, does anyone know what they are for?

https://www.ggarchives.com/DigitalA...atingPortholes-500.jpg?ezimgfmt=ng:webp/ngcb1"The windows of the ship throughout are fitted with slide ventilators adjustable at the will of the occupants. In the case of the portholes, of which there are just x,000, those that light the lower decks are fitted with an ingenious ventilating device. When the ship heels so much that the porthole touches the water, the latter automatically closes the ventilating apertures of the former. But when the craft rights herself again, and the porthole emerges from the water, the apertures reopen; so that even in the stormiest weather, there is but slight interference with the ventilation that comes from the portholes."

Hello,

You can find some technical datas, pictures and drawings of the Utley's Patent ventilation Sidelight in TTSM book volume 01 @ page 211 and 212.

The first Thomas Utley Patent file (Apr. 18, 1893) is available HERE
The second Thomas Utley Patent file (Nov. 10, 1903.) is available HERE
You will find in there some answers to your questions.

Attachments

• US495856_Page_1.jpg
    US495856_Page_1.jpg
    360.3 KB · Views: 26
  • US495856_Page_2.jpg
    US495856_Page_2.jpg
    214.3 KB · Views: 28
  • US743599_Page_2.jpg
    US743599_Page_2.jpg
    475.3 KB · Views: 29
Last edited:
Hello,

You can find some technical datas, pictures and drawings of the Utley's Patent ventilation Sidelight in TTSM book volume 01 @ page 211 and 212.

The first Thomas Utley Patent file (Apr. 18, 1893) is available HERE
The second Thomas Utley Patent file (Nov. 10, 1903.) is available HERE
You will find in there some answers to your questions.
thank you my friend, it's time to buy me this book, apparently it's the best in regards to technical information..right??

Back