Bathrooms on Mauretania

Hi,
Were any photos of the bathrooms (of any class), on the Maury ever taken? I am curious to know what they were like. I have got Mark Warren's book about her and there isn't anything in there, I thought that there might have been.

Regards,

Lucy

Lucy- I have the original Shipbuilder issue. There is a two page segment about the baths, with two illustrations- one of a tub and one of a needle-shower apparatus. Does that segement appear in mr. Warren's book? If not, I can post from it.

Hi, Jim,

No, the feature about Maury's baths doesn't appear in Mark Warren's book. I have never actually seen the original Shipbuilder issue, Warren's book is from the original Engineering issue. Is the Shipbuilder more comprehensive than Engineering?

If you could post this feature then great. I would love this. Many thanks!!
happy.gif

Regards,

Lucy

Thanks, Jim. This is very interesting. Looks like you would have got quite a dousing from those shower-heads! The shower/ bath is identical to the one which was found outside the wreck of the Lusitania- there's a picture of it in Ballard's Exploring the Lusitania book, I wonder if it's still at the wreck site.

Is this issue of The Shipbuilder available as a facsimile copy as is the case of the Engineering, do you know??

Regards,

Lucy

I don't know! I have a great dealer who, once a week, sends a list of hard to find items at fairly good to excellent prices. The items go fast~ while I was securing the Shipbuilder issue someone grabbed a 1914 Carpathia menu with a Lusitania cover illustration in the 4 seconds it took me to add Shipbuilder to my basket
happy.gif
I've learned that the best way to find these things at a good price is to comb the used book search engines until someone posts what you are looking for as "just another old magazine."

I love the multiple showerhead showers. That's one of those things I've seen in showers from before like 1930 but I get the impression it was something only rich people tended to have. The Pittock Mansion in Portland, Oregon has a good example. Its a stall with tiled walls and a chromed rack of like 4 or 5 different showerheads.

Jim: Speaking of Maury and Lucy...one of my prized postcards is of LUSITANIA, postmarked aboard ship (Paquebot), mailed at QUEENSTOWN...message entails "Frank I wish you could be here with me, three times around this ship is one-mile" (Sound familiar?)

BTW, the date bearing on the p.c. is from the return half of LUSITANIA's maiden voyage!

Michael Cundiff
NV, USA

POSTSCRPIT: I forgot to note...my LUCY card was purchased at an Antique show, years ago for a whopping $20.00! Old book shops are not bad areas to search either...I found a 1st edition hardback, with dustjacket, of ANTR for $7.00!

Michael Cundiff
NV, USA

When I've visited antique stores and looked at their postcard boxes, I don't think I've ever seen a single ship.
sad.gif
Maybe that's just a western Oregon thing. I know there are a lot of postcards on Ebay, but when they're of ocean liners, people inflate the price, even when its a common card.

Back