Best Titanic book you've read?

SunnyDay

Annie Smith
Hi all

There's a few dated threads so I thought an updated one would be helpful.

What's the best titanic book you read and what made it the best?

By a country mile, 'On A Sea Of Glass', the current definitive work on the subject; absolutely packed with the very best research, covers so many aspects of it all, and yet is still incredibly readable. Can't recommend it highly enough.
Does it have accounts of what happened to people during the sinking and after? That's what most interests me

A
Hi all

There's a few dated threads so I thought an updated one would be helpful.

What's the best titanic book you read and what made it the best?
Are you writing a book about the Titanic yourself? I am usually curious about that. I've read many general knowledge books about the Titanic, and the Titanic novels in general are littered with mistakes. Seems to be some write and publish without thought or edits.

A

Are you writing a book about the Titanic yourself? I am usually curious about that. I've read many general knowledge books about the Titanic, and the Titanic novels in general are littered with mistakes. Seems to be some write and publish without thought or edits.
Haha no! No writing ability at all, just want to read about her. I'm concerned re mistakes too, that's why I wanna get a good book

I also found "On a Sea of Glass" to be the best, most thorough book and it keeps your head fairly clear by starting at the beginnings of Titanic and not wobbling much backwards and forwards. You have to read that one. And welcome to the site!

I also found "On a Sea of Glass" to be the best, most thorough book and it keeps your head fairly clear by starting at the beginnings of Titanic and not wobbling much backwards and forwards. You have to read that one. And welcome to the site!
Thanks! Glad to be here it's a great bunch

"A night to remember", of course, and its follow up, "The night lives on", by Walter Lord, are classics.

"On a sea of glass" is, until something better comes out (if ever), THE must have book for any Titanic maniac! ;)

Archibald Gracie's book is the voice of a survivor (there are others, but this is my fav because it's got more information in it than the others I've read).

Father Brown's photo album: those pictures...

And a novel by David Dyer: "The midnight watch". It's about the Californian. Obviously, it's fiction, but with a good base of research.

Those are my favorites!

"A night to remember", of course, and its follow up, "The night lives on", by Walter Lord, are classics.

"On a sea of glass" is, until something better comes out (if ever), THE must have book for any Titanic maniac! ;)

Archibald Gracie's book is the voice of a survivor (there are others, but this is my fav because it's got more information in it than the others I've read).

Father Brown's photo album: those pictures...

And a novel by David Dyer: "The midnight watch". It's about the Californian. Obviously, it's fiction, but with a good base of research.

Those are my favorites!
How reliable is Gracies book?

How reliable are any of them? Not accusing Gracie of this, but people started making things up from the moment the ship disappeared under the water, either deliberately or inadvertently.

One issue to bear in mind, even with excellent resources like On a Sea of Glass, is that survivors made things up or exaggerated the truth, or misremembered. Even worse, journalists also elaborated accounts given to them. I don't personally believe much that Lucy Duff Gordon has to say in her memoirs, or the accounts given by saloon steward, Thomas Whiteley.

So read everything with a skeptical mind. If it smells off, it probably is [e.g. Dr. O’Loughlin toasting the ship in the first class restaurant with: ‘let us drink to the mighty Titanic’ and everyone joining in].

I can't say. As much as any from the era, I guess.

What I like about it is the "human" element. His relationships aboard, the people he speaks of, the way he tells his story.

He was there, after all. And he didn't survive by that much.

Back