Biographies Autobiographies & good books

ian Hough

Can anyone recommend any Titanic Biographies & Auto-biographies, which tell of their lives rather than what took place on the Titanic.

I have the following:
Women and children first - Judith Gellor
I'll see you in New York - David Haisman
The Irish aboard the Titanic -Senan Molony

Can anyone recommend others

Many thanx
Houghie
mad.gif

that's the easy part, Ian. just pick the people you are most interested in learning about! by the way, I have upraded the listings to include both authors and titles, which should make them easier to use.

all the best, Michael (TheManInBlack) T

Michael (TheManInBlack) T

I am interested in all survivors - my problem is Do they talk about their lives and family or just their time on the Titanic?
I asked the question hoping that anyone out there had read any and could make suggestions. Hoping that they don't fall into the the category The Falling Funnel award for worst Titanic book

many thanx
Houghie
mad.gif

Houghie, there are two more books along the lines of 'The Irish aboard Titanic' - ie details of lives before, during and after. These are 'Titanic - 31 Norwegian Destinies' by Per Kristian Sebak and 'Titanic - the Canadian Story' by Alan Hustak. Both books include those who died as well as those who lived. And trust me, no Falling Funnel candidates here!

Hi Ian,

How've you been? Still trotting round cemeteries? You and Bob have got to be with us next year on our graveyard hikes!

Michael's site, as you've seen, is the best source on the web (or anywhere) for Titanic titles. I was glad he included such an extensive list of passenger/crew biographies/autobiographies. (I'm just waiting for him to do a book site for Lusitania!)

As far as additional titles. I'm not sure, but I think Michael references the as-yet-undiscovered manuscripts for memoirs of Molly Brown and Edith Russell. In addition there is a short paper on Russell's life that is soon to be donated by a noted costume collector to the Fashion Institute of Technology. This was actually a speech "Edy" gave to students at the New York School of Fine and Applied Art (now Parsons School of Design) back in the 1920s. It is entitled "By the Grace of God and Fashion" and I believe formed the nucleus of her now lost memoir. It may be the closest we get to her life story (in her own words). I am still plugging away on my own "Edy" project.

There is also an unfinished memoir of Rene (later spelled "Renee") Harris which, thanks to Don Lynch, I have access to and am working from right now in the hopes of putting together an appreciation of this woman's career. Rene never decided on a title although she scribbled several possibilities on the cover page of her MS. Like Edith Russell, Rene Harris died before finishing her book.

Randy

Randy

At the moment I'm not trotting anywhere, I tore the muscle in my leg two weeks ago, helping some dear old lady push her car. For the first week I crawled around the house on all fours, this week I'm limping around, but looking forward to going back out graveyard hunting next week.

All being well I should be with you at some point next year on your graveyard hikes. I hope.

Thanx for the info

All the best
Houghie
mad.gif

Bob

Having looked around many a graveyard I have discovered you are never too old or (sadly) too young to be in a graveyard. I've also discovered that there is always a pub close to the cemetery.

All the best
Houghie
mad.gif

Bob, you can't get out of it. You're down for a graveyard AND pub crawl.

And poor Ian, you have literally been crawling! Hope the leg is soon better. I was wandering with some folks through a cemetery in Southampton - don't recall which one - and I came close to twisting an ankle several times trying to walk over very uneven ground. A certain member of our party actually fell in a hole which would have been a good photo-op if one of us had had a camera ready!

Randy

Randy

A certain member of our party actually fell in a hole which would have been a good photo-op if one of us had had a camera ready!

Falling into holes in cemeteries is an occupational hazard - or as my friend Hunter would say "It goes with the badge"

I would love a pound for every grave-hole I've fallen into and once had to be pulled out (By my angelic and indispensible wife) as I could not get up myself.

All the best
Houghie
mad.gif

P.S. My wife is looking over my shoulder so I had to say those kind words about her - else next time she might leave me there.

Pardon the intrusion, but getting away from books about passengers in general (as excellent as they are), I'd recommend the Eva Hart 'autobiography' Shadow of the Titanic, written with Ronald Denney. While the first third of the book is on her family's experience on Titanic, the remainder is very much on the rest of her life which is quite interesting in its own right. There's also much on the Titanic legacy, including the immediate impact on Eva and her mother post disaster and Eva's opinions on several aspects such as books, films and so on.

I bought the book TITANIC the Norfolk survivors from the author John Balls. It is published by Nostalgia Publications, Dereham, Norfolk, England.
In my opinion it is one of the better books issued.
There is a lot about these Norfolk survivors in the book; Frank Prentice, Ellen Bird, The Beanes, May Howard.
The book costs £ 5.99 ex postage.

Back