The children were mulatto, having characteristics of both races. Their skin wasn't as dark as Joseph's (who doesn't appear to have been very dark) and wasn't as pale as Juliette's. I'd compare their complexion to those of Asian races.
Chris

Dear Joannie,

Mr. Joseph LaRoche is black and he was born in Haiti, his wife Juliette is white and she was born in Paris. Their daughters Louise and Simonne had black skin but they were biracial.

Robert

For some reason my post got chopped, weird.
I'll go for another shot:
The children were mulatto, having characteristics of both races. Their skin wasn't as dark as Joseph's (who doesn't appear to have been very dark) and wasn't as pale as Juliette's. I'd compare their complexion to those of Asian races.
Chris

I'd say that Mr Laroche was black and his wife white, but their daughters' skin was somwhat of an oriental complexion.

A second class passenger referred to them as Jap(anese) girls who looked like dolls. There is an excellent biography on the Laroches in Judith Geller's book, "Women and Children First."

Daniel

I remember reading somewhere that a rumor persisted that a famous black athlete, a boxer perhaps, was on the Titanic. This rumor was dispelled because it was said that there were no black passengers. It was only on this web site that I learned that there were black passengers aboard.

Elaine

Jack Johnson is the famous black boxer. There been speculation that Jack Johnson attempted to gain passage aboard the Titanic but was refused by a ticketing agent. The story is untrue.

This information is on this website:

Back