If the ship sank more
Bodily
Or
Steeply
And how would each version of this effect the ship
. flooding
.the evacuation
.and how it would look to survivors in the waters

Titanic sank mostly bodily and to port until the last 10 minutes. Survivors saw the ship setting lower and lower into the water until reported "explosions" were heard and then the stern rapidly accelerated upward as the bow dropped. The same can be said about the Britannic apart from the direction of the list.

My question is .
If the ship sank more
Bodily
Or
Steeply
And how would each version of this effect the ship
. flooding
.the evacuation
.and how it would look to survivors in the waters
While it did sink bodily there was a definite favor towards the bow more than the the ship sinkig bodily. I'm going to try and verify were i saw these accounts, but observers had described the ship the tilting forward with rows of light disappearing but not entire ship long rows.

I agree somewhat. This is what I consider bodily:

IMG_7504.PNG

This is what I consider steep:

IMG_7505.PNG

When I think of the ship sinking bodily I think of this:

Titanicbodily.PNG

Although, the port list would make the port side lower and the starboard side higher. The starboard propeller may have been elevated above the water. Interested to know if any survivors saw the port propeller above the surface before she broke.

How is it even possible for port propeller to not be visible at the time of the break up? The entire stern and more was above the surface. The survivors explicitly state that the propellers were well out the water.The top photo is more accurate but the bottom one from the mini series is way too submerged.

Last edited:
When I think of the ship sinking bodily I think of this:

View attachment 3941

Although, the port list would make the port side lower and the starboard side higher. The starboard propeller may have been elevated above the water. Interested to know if any survivors saw the port propeller above the surface before she broke.

I believe the starboard propellor popped out of the water as she listed over to port and the port blades continued to stay submerged. It would look something like this:

IMG_7506.jpg

Starboard propellors are visible while port propellors barely breach the surface:

IMG_7508.jpg

(Edited for visibility)

Titanic seconds before the breakup:

IMG_7507.jpg

I believe the break up and the final separation were two separate events. I understand when the ship broke the stern suddenly keeled heavily to port and then buckled upwards canting high into the air. Survivors heard explosive sounds and witnessed the stern tremble and rise up - "It blew her stern up"- and then it separated and settled back. I believe the settling back has been mistaken for the initial break, when it was possibly already broken before that.

Rough idea. Ship breaks and the bow disappears into the darkness. After a series of explosions the stern rises sharply into the air before it settles back and separates completely.

filmb2a.PNG

filmb2.PNG

After she settles back, the lights go out and the stern rises up and rotates as it takes one final plunge into the sea.

Last edited by a moderator:
I would think she would sink steeply. Some of the renders of her sinking bodily just don't sit right with me. Any area of the ship that is still occupied by, mostly air, would tend to be lifted up out of the water.

I can't recall. I think I saw a picture drawn by a survivor, of how she saw the ship from a profile as it was going down. If I remember correctly, it looked pretty steep, but nowhere near that simulation.

Back