Bridge Roof

Bob Read

I was looking at HMHS Britannic's bridge roof configuration on several plans. Some show a rectangular roof with straight sides like Titanic. One plan seems to show a modification
where the roof has a T shape being wider forward and the aft part being roughly the width of the wheelhouse. I don't believe this modification was ever incorporated on HMHS Britannic. I am including a link to an photo enlargement of this area. What you will see is first that the moulding on the edge of the roof goes from fore to aft unbroken. If it had a T shape there would be a visible break where the moulding would take a right angle inboard to the narrower aft part of the roof. Secondly if the aft part was narrower, the wheelhouse would not be in deep shadows. It does however have the same overlap appearance as Titanic.
Here is the photo link:
http://webpages.charter.net/bpread/roof.jpg

Regards,
Bob Read

Michail:
I did consult that article before making my post.
I didn't want to mention the article specifically because I disagree with it. However, since you have mentioned Remco and his article, I believe he is in error regarding the
bridge roof on HMHS Britannic. Since the plans are contradictory regarding the bridge roof, we have to go to the photos. I believe the photo I linked to shows a straight roof edge. Photos taken from the other side show the same thing.
If you or Remco believe I am in error, I'd be glad to look at your evidence.

Regards,
Bob Read

Back