Bridge Tour

Hey everyone,
I haven't posted here in months, I have been very busy. I had a question. In the 1997 Cameron movie, Cal, Rose, and her mother are being given a tour of the bridge, and they go and meet captain Smith. Was this typical? Were passengers given tours of the bridge and other areas?
Thanks,
Adam

Not to my knowladge. (I could be wrong.) If any such were given, they would have been very closely supervised. Especially on the mail boats which took proper proceedure and protocols very seriously. Tourists poking around would have scarcely been welcome.

Hi Adam,

I agree with Michael on this one, I believe Erik Wood addressed this is another post regarding the subject and he said its out of the question on his ships, so I would imagine the same would be true of the Titanic.

Best Regards,

Brian

The epilogue of "Olympic and Titanic: Ocean Liners of the Past" features a photo of a captain of the Olympic in the mid 20s on the wing bridge with a dignitary (the Prince of Wales, perhaps?); the caption notes that the Captain was later reprimanded by the company for allowing a passenger on the bridge while the ship was in port.

Jim Smith

In 1968 when I was Second Mate on the SS Constitution bridge tours were a common occurrence. However more recently, due to security concerns, I'm sure they do not happen. Recently I took a cruise on the Nordic Empress and there were not any bridge tours. The officer's quarters and bridge were separated from the rest of the ship by a locked door.
Regards,
Charlie Weeks

Back