Bridget Mary O'Sullivan

Does anyone have or know where I can find information on Third Class passenger Bridget O'Sullivan? I believe she is a distant relative, and I am unable to find any information on her.
Sarah

Dear Shadow,
There was some confusion at the time of the sinking as to this woman's name. Montreal papers reported that a "Bridget Mary Sullivan" of Montreal had died in the sinking and that she had previously been living there.

In reality Bridget O'Sullivan (I've seen no evidence of a middle name for her) was making her first trip across the Atlantic to be with sisters already living in New York. She was accompanied by her boyfriend, Joe Foley. They apparently were well on their way to making it up to the boatdeck when Bridget decided to go back to her cabin for her purse and Joe followed--a fatal mistake for both.

When Carpathia arrived, her sister Hannah hoped against hope that Bridget might have survived after all and waited as the survivors disembarked. A man pressed a card with a poem on it into her hand--she kept the card and its message near to her as long as she lived:

Serene I fold my hands and wait
Nor care for wind, nor tide, nor sea
I rave no more 'gainst time nor fate
For lo! My own shall come to me.
I stay my haste, I make delays
For what avails this eager place?
I stand amid the Eternal ways
And what is mine shall know my face.

Asleep, awake, by night or day
The friends I seek are seeking me,
No wind can drive my barque astray
Nor change the tide of destiny.

What matter if I stand alone?
I wait with joy the coming years:
My heart shall reap where it has sown
And garner up its fruit of tears.

The waters know their own and draw
The brook that springs in yonder heights
So flows the good with equal law
Unto the soul of pure delights.

The stars come nightly to the sky
The tidal wave unto the sea
Nor time, nor space, nor deep, nor high
Can keep my own away from me.

Bridget was born May 18, 1890 in County Limerick, Ireland.

She was a pretty, petite girl and a good photo of her appears in Senan Molony's book The Irish Aboard Titanic. Apparently the second printing of the book is now out of print however.

I hope some of the above is of interest.

Phillip

Bridget O'Sullivan boarded the Titanic at Queenstown. There is no information on her on this site or any other that I've seen. If anybody has any info on her, I would greatly appreciate it. Thanks.

You may want to check out this thread, Caitlin:

[Moderator's Note: The link which originally appeared here has been removed, as the thread linked to has now been merged with this one. MAB]

Phil Gowan provides some excellent information on this Irish passenger.

If you possibly can, get a copy of Senan Molony's 'The Irish Aboard Titanic'. He has a fairly substantive section on Bridget, including a hauntingly lovely photo of her.

Since that thread was probably too early on for me to reply to:

I read that Bridget's sister's name was Hannah. Was that Hannah O'Brien? Or another Hannah?

Sláinte,
Caitlin

No problem, Caitlin - I know it's a forest of posts, and given the huge volume of material that's been covered on the ET board it can be difficult to find exactly what you're after. You can try entering 'O'Sullivan' in the search engine on the board - it has a few entries.

Does anyone know about a passenger Bridget O'Sullivan, any info would be appreciated, thanks!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

[Moderator's Note: This message, originaly posted to an unrelated thread about another passenger, has been moved to this pre-exisiting thread about the same passenger. MAB]

Looking for info on Bridget O'Sullivan's father's name - my mother was supposedly related to Bridget - second cousin or so. Trying to connect to my mother's family history only have one generation back.
Thanks

Back