bhogates

Following the titanic disaster, I know the Olympic underwent a major refit, raising some bulkheads and adding an inner skin. I know that the Britannic was also altered to also fit these plans. Were the Britannic and Olympics new bulkhead design identical? I can only find images of Olympics bulkheads following the refit, not Britannics updated bulkheads.
Thanks!

Following the titanic disaster, I know the Olympic underwent a major refit, raising some bulkheads and adding an inner skin. I know that the Britannic was also altered to also fit these plans. Were the Britannic and Olympics new bulkhead design identical? I can only find images of Olympics bulkheads following the refit, not Britannics updated bulkheads. Thanks!

For all significant intents and purposes, Britannic's watertight bulkhead arrangement was the same as Olympic's after the 1912-13 refit and the design objective was the same. (Note that some of Olympic's after watertight bulkheads were reduced in height, too - something which is not often appreciated!)

Best wishes

Mark.

For all significant intents and purposes, Britannic's watertight bulkhead arrangement was the same as Olympic's after the 1912-13 refit and the design objective was the same. (Note that some of Olympic's after watertight bulkheads were reduced in height, too - something which is not often appreciated!)

Best wishes

Mark.
Awesome reply! Thank you so much!
Just out of curiosity, why would they reduce some in height? Just for ease of accessibility in getting around the ship?

One photo of a watertight bulkhead on the Britannic during construction shows the addition of vertical girders used to stiffen the structure. I don't know if they did this with the Olympic too.

Cheers,
Michail

Attachments

• Stiffeners WTB Britannic.jpg
    Stiffeners WTB Britannic.jpg
    152.9 KB · Views: 80
Back